What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why can't I use clay pots

I've been stumped on this one for a few years now and finally decided to ask...
Are any of you are using clay pots in your Nep chambers/terrariums? I have tried several times in the past and usually within a few days the pot is covered in some weird looking funguses so I have to get rid of them. I always use plastic pots, net pots or orchid mounts (cork) but I'd like to use clay pots for my large personal plants but why is it they don't work in my chambers? Is there anything I can do to them to "treat" them that will disable any fungal spores on them and not harm the Neps (or other plants) potted within?

And yes, I've always have tried with new clay pots, I never reuse old pots.

I grow my merrilliana in a clay pot. And it has been in a clay pot for the last 4 months without any problems. The main thing you have to think about is that the water must be pure to prevent mineral build up. Also try to cook the pot for a shot time or steam it. I did this and have never had fungus or algae problems.

We use clay pots for our more highland blooded Neps. Definitely keeps the media cooler thru evaporation. They also dry out faster, and some species such as albomarginata and veitchii seem to prefer clay pots in our conditions. We do get some fungal growth, but mostly its moss that starts to cover the pot. If it gets really bad, I'll scrub it off with a vegetable brush and ro filtered water. We have no fears of mineral build-up because the greenhouse is on ro filtered water.

I believe there are fungicidal sealants for clay pots - they spray on or you dilute them in water and soak the pots; you might give that a try. You could also see about colonizing the pot and media with a beneficial fungus, like the Trichoderma that PinguiculaMan uses. I think TyFone's idea of sterilizing the pots before hand is a very good idea, as well.
Best luck!
~Joe

Thanks, I use R/O too, I will try the baking thing and see how that goes.

Moss would be great, I love the look of a moss covered clay pot (what I'm going for actually!) but this black and white fuzzy fungus only appears on clay pots when I put them in. Once I get rid of the pot no more sight of fungus bring in a new clay pot, several days later... There it is all over that new pot!
smile_h_32.gif

Try to change both pot and soil as the fungus may be in your soil and there by spreading to the next pot you switch to.

I would think clay would be fine, as long as you pre soak it in RO water, then rinse and pot, just to get all the dust and stuff out, also to re-hydrate the clay to cut out any leaching effects on the media of moisture...that way its stable, no wet media in one area and bone dry clay in another. Using good water, mineral buildup sounds proposterous!

Back