What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alata or ventrata?

<span style='color:Teal'>Hello there!
smile.gif

I purchased several months ago a Nepenthes alata. I really wanted an alata, so I found it available on E-bay and I bought it. But now that the plant is bigger and the pitchers that the plant produces are completely developed and big, I think that what I received was not an alata, but a ventrata. At least for me, both plants and the pitchers of both of them are exactly the same.

Can you help me with this identification? Is it possible that what I think is an alata it can really be alata? How can I recognize the differences between alata and ventrata?

Here is a pic of what I bought as alata:
NEPENTHESALATAFEB042006.jpg

And here is a pic of my bigger ventrata:
NEPENTHESVENTRATAFEB042006.jpg

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

I would say ventrata...

check the persimtone of the "alata". Vetrata has it a little flared because of the ventricosa in it

I read somewhere you can tell the difference by looking at the petiole, but I couldn't visualize the way they described it at the time. Might be worth googling.

<span style='color:Teal'>Oh Man, i think i was cheated.
mad.gif

I was hopping that some one could tell me that these 2 plants were different, but it is plenty obvious that they are the same.

Lord, now i have to start again my -Quest for a N. alata-
smile_h_32.gif

Does someone know wher i can find alata plants?

Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

Hi all:

As with everything else, anything with very little commercial value is hard to find.

Jorge Joel: I'd recommend N. benstonei, N. thorelli, N. veitchii, N. khasiana, and perhaps N. campanulata for your set up. Luckily, you find one of these first.

Gus

<span style='color:Teal'>Gus, thanks for your advices.
smile.gif

Do you think it will be very hard to find alata?
confused.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilias' Garden</span>

<span style='color:teal'>Hello guys!  
smile.gif

I finally can be sure i have a Nepenthes Alata
smile.gif
Here is the first pitcher my new plant has produced:

NALATAtypical.jpg

It may be very common to some of you, but i am deeply happy  
smile.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

AS long as youre happy theirs not a problem!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Mar. 03 2006,6:46)]AS long as youre happy theirs not a problem!!
<span style='color:teal'>Oh yes, i am really happy!  
smile_l_32.gif

Not only because of the beauty of this plant, but also becuase finally i can be sure i have an alata  
smile_m_32.gif
</span>

Back