What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nep greenhouse

ludwig777

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
I finally decided to build another greenhouse for my Nepenthes and not make the same mistakes I made with my last greenhouse.  For example, I made the last one too small!  Secondly, I didn't make the best use of space; there was 'dead' space in places.  Next, I am designing this one to have 2 chambers, one for lowland and one highland.  Lastly, I am installing a high-tech security system this time!!!  Can never be too careful.  

This will be the lowland chamber (notice I made it extra tall to accomodate climbing plants, like my new N.x dyeriana!!!):
p_DCP_0675.jpg

This will be the main, highland section (I obviously want to focus mostly on highlanders); I sunk it 2 feet below the ground level hoping to conserve cool air in the summer:
p_DCP_0676.jpg

And here is an ariel veiw of the project...look at the lone post in the upper left corner  without any roof attachments yet; this will be the last corner :
p_DCP_0686.jpg

Hey, that's a great looking project! Makes me "green" with envy, since I would love to have a greenhouse for my neps. Nice job, and please keep us posted with more pics as the process continues.

-Jeremy

Frame is finished, and starting to paint the frame.
p_DCP_0692.jpg

Dang Ludwig, that is so cool! I long for the day when I have my own place and the money to build a greenhouse. Someday...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 07 2006,2:18)]Dang Ludwig, that is so cool! I long for the day when I have my own place and the money to build a greenhouse. Someday...
Yes, my current greenhouse is only 6 x 10 and just for the structure it cost me $700, then I bought a LP heater for about $500, all the irrigation supplies and pumps, and an R/O unit, brought it up to about $1800. This is definitely not a cheap hobby. My new GH will be about twice the square footage of my old one and this time I am making it extra TALL and plan to build teired shelving in it to accomodate more plants.

Making some progress:

Full shot; left-hand tall part is my lowland chamber, sectioned off from the rest of the greenhouse; main doorway directly to the right of that:
p_DCP_0695.jpg

Lowland chamber:
p_DCP_0702.jpg

I like to make my own benches out of redwood lath; this way you can size and fit them any way you can imagine:
p_DCP_0707.jpg

And another (notice here under the bench, the actual ground is dug pretty deep):
p_DCP_0708.jpg

The tedious job of constructing the roof-frame to accomodate the corrugated polycarbonate panels; all measurements have to be precise and many small cuts are required to make air-tight:
p_DCP_0710.jpg

The greenhouse is split-level, and I dug out the floor of the highland chamber so it is 2 feet below the ground.  This will hopefully keep it cooler in the summer.  I am also going to add another section in the highland side to extend out another 4 feet (right where the date-stamp is); more grow space.
Ludwig

looking nice, cant wait to see it in person when its done!
smile_m_32.gif

question will the highland include ultras as well?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Feb. 10 2006,3:52)]question will the highland include ultras as well?
I've been thinking about that and wondering the best way to do that; I will probably end up adding a 'small' sectioned off chamber for ultras.

<span style='color:teal'>Hey Ludwig, do you have more updates of your new grenhouse? Any new pics?

Cheers...</span>

Thanks for the interest; my new GH is becoming a reality pretty quickly. I am almost finished and will get some pics up in the next 24 hours or so.

I do have a great question: WHERE do you get a good swamp cooler???!!! Home depot's are totally LAME, and Lowes' does not have a single unit in stock or available on their website. I am hesitant to buy online because I got stuck when I bought my LP heater a few years back, ended up costing me a lot of money in repairs for a unit not covered by any warrenty. Any advice would really be appreciated!
Ludwig

Check out www.freecycle.com. There was one available there recently in our area. I'm not sure how "good" it was, but the price is right.

OK, here are the latest pics:
p_DCP_0725.jpg

p_DCP_0729.jpg

p_DCP_0730.jpg

p_DCP_0734.jpg

p_DCP_0735.jpg

Next post should be of the finished project.  Hope you like.

That is so cool! Dang it! I want a greenhouse just like that! Ahhhhhhhh!

Nice job Ludwig. Can't wait to see it full of plants
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 21 2006,1:05)]That is so cool! Dang it! I want a greenhouse just like that! Ahhhhhhhh!

Nice job Ludwig. Can't wait to see it full of plants
smile.gif
Thank you! You think YOU can't wait???
smile_m_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

I can think of nothing else...

A real artwork!
btw, I don't know how hot it gets where you live but you might wanna consider a shadenet or painting the roof with a white color (or both).
keep it up!

Yes it gets very hot here in the summer and I already have rigged a shadecloth aparatus where I can add and remove it easily. A swamp cooler is a must here!

<span style='color:teal'>CONGRATULATIONS LUDWIG!!!!!  
smile.gif
  I love your greenhouse! Great Job...!

Thank you for the updates in your site also... I really enjoy seeing it
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

Back