What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nep greenhouse

Finished today; pouring rain and hail, cold today!!!
p_DCP_0736.jpg

New swamp cooler, hooked to a thermostat for hot days:
p_DCP_0739.jpg

Neps enjoying their new home:
p_DCP_0742.jpg

This is a view from inside the highland area, looking at the lowland chamber behind a polycarbonate door:
p_DCP_0745.jpg

I ran duct across the whole greenhouse and put small holes in it to evenly disperse cool air from the swamp cooler:
p_DCP_0753.jpg

Full view:
p_DCP_0758.jpg

Nice work! That is a very attractive ghouse you built there.

yeah would be nice to see it in person...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (philcula @ Mar. 12 2006,1:41)]Nice work! That is a very attractive ghouse you built there.
Thank you!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Mar. 12 2006,1:54)]yeah would be nice to see it in person...
smile_n_32.gif

Well done! Great job!
Where did you keep all your neps before?

<span style='color:teal'>Hey Ludwig, I am dying of envy here!  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I just love it...! Now i wish we could trade greenhouses  
smile_m_32.gif

I bet that with that quality of natural light and controled temperatures, now your thorelii x mixta will become a monster.
smile.gif

Congratulations!!</span>

Thanks for the comments everyone...I had another greenhouse before this one but it was in almost total shade 6 months out of the year so I was fighting with artificial light constantly (98% humidity is terrible for lighting). This new GH is in full sun year-round, great in the wintertime and I will just add 50% shade cloth when it gets too hot in summer.

I am very anxious to see the plants thrive in full sun while the swamp cooler kicks in; this should really duplicate their homeland (I hope!).

wow it cool...literally
smile.gif
. so you have highlands and lowlands i have heard....might you be thinking about Ultra-highlanders?? around how much did this cost?

That is truely an amazing piece of building! I like your idea of running ducts with holes in them attached to the swamp cooler. Please continue to give us updates throughout the spring and summer.

-Jeremy

Wow you did an excellent job on the new greenhouse. Maybe I can see it in person sometime. Do you still have the old greenhouse or did you tear it down?
Remember the N. ventricosa X inermis you gave me? I have already traded away 2 basal cuttings from it, and I need to trim it again. I have 3 or 4 growing tips on it now. Want a cutting from it to put in your new greenhouse?

Great looking job!  Like your construction details - neatly finished and well thought out.  The configuration is very unique.

Please keep us posted on how it performs for you, and thanks for sharing.

Lovely Mr. Ludwig! I love your idea of the cooling duct! Just like what ABG employs at their operation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Mar. 12 2006,10:00)]Lovely Mr. Ludwig! I love your idea of the cooling duct! Just like what ABG employs at their operation.
Well, today was the first sunny day we had since I installed the swamp cooler and wow it is great to not have to worry about high temps again (before the cooler was hooked up, I came home from work and I was at 96F and some plants were really wilting). I was at a steady 80F all day!!!

Very nice! Good work.
smile.gif

Could you furnish basic plans and cost, for anybody who might be thinking about building a greenhouse?

Or, at least, did you have the help of a good how-to book that explained how to build a greenhouse?

way to go! I just fixed up my greenhouse so it would stay warm in the winter, plants should make the move next week
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Mar. 13 2006,5:24)]Could you furnish basic plans and cost, for anybody who might be thinking about building a greenhouse?

Or, at least, did you have the help of a good how-to book that explained how to build a greenhouse?
I have a good basic knowledge of construction techniques, and I apply this knowledge, but i do not make plans (written plans) ever.  I look at an area and carefully visualize what I want to accomplish, and keeping this visualization in mind, I begin to work.  Of course I make very careful measurements as I work and keep everyting square and true. I actually built this GH on a former koi pond site so I was very fortunate to have been able to sink the GH 2 feet below ground level without much digging.  If you look at my final view you will see the GH looks too short; this is because it is below ground level and once inside, I actually have to use a step stool to work on the highest points inside.  Doing this actually cuts the cost a little too.

As far as cost, it is not cheap.  I have not tallied cost yet but I know it is around $2000.  The polycarbonate fasteners alone (rubber-washers attached to weatherproof screws) ran about $149 just themselves.  There is paint to buy, nails, screws, bolts, lumber brackets, the list goes on and on.  There are corners you can cut if you want to but the structure will not last very long due to the very high moisture that will be present at all times.  Even with a structure like this, repairs are always required every few years no matter how careful you are when building it, due to the moisture.  The problem with trying to instal a pre-made, steel greenhouse is you are committed to its shape no matter where you want to put it.  I like to design my own GHs becuase I can make it fit snugly in an area and it looks a lot nicer I think.  I still have yet to landscape the outside with vines, flowers, and small trees, which I think will really finish it off nicely.  i am also planning on building redwood planter boxes affixed to the outside of certain parts of the Gh and running 1/4" microtubing from the R/O unit, and planting tougher Nepenthes all around the OUTSIDE of the greenhouse where they will still receive purified water at regular intervals.  Imagine a greenhouse surrounded by Nepenthes, inside AND outside!!!  i don't think I have ever seen this before.

If anyone needs help during the construction of their own GH please don't be afraid to ask; I love to help in any way I can!!!
Ludwig

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Mar. 12 2006,8:43)]As far as cost, it is not cheap.  I have not tallied cost yet but I know it is around $2000.
heh, you're not married, then, are you?
smile_m_32.gif

LMAO!!!!
i can surely see that!!!! My wife would kill me if she even knew already how much i spent on the plants as it is!

Back