What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ampullaria

hi all,what kind of obstacles to grow ampullaria to maturity, bear the uppers and finally flowered. Not a lot was posted on ampullaria uppers in captivity.Any special reason(s).

Robert
smile.gif

I had an ampularia for a while that started to climb to about 18 inches but the traps remained shaped like the lower pitchers, only a little smaller, and the plant never developed the rossetted stem pitchers you see in photos.

from the uppers ive seen on them they are realy wiered. like ludwig said they are realy small and the wings are alot farther from the pitcher. and i dont think the coil around a stick or whatever either

My amp is only 7 inches high so I'm thinking it will be a while before seeing the rosettes below. I did notice some growth at the base but has since died off probably from immaturity.

Pauline.

Once it has started vining and is fully mature, ampullaria may occasionally produce vestigial upper pitchers. Ampullaria is noted purely for its lower pitchers, which can appear in clusters up the climbing stem.

It will flower once the climbing stem reaches a metre or more in length, and some forms of red ampullaria are reluctant to flower. Most others aren't too difficult. It is a species that needs plenty of space if you want it to flower.

I ordered a N. ampullaria today, so I doubt I'll be seeing uppers any time soon
smile_m_32.gif

Back