What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bongso keeps etting better...............

adde677d.jpg

you can see the peristrome is still curling back but the color is about as dark as it will get. another few weeks and the peristrom will probably be set at what ever its going to do. hopefully it doesnt curl back as much

bongso next to a jac. x izumae thats trying to impersonate it
a71b4d7a.jpg

yeah looks really nice ill post when mine open up!!!

WHY CANT THIS THING GROW ANY FASTER!!!
mad.gif

well the wings are starting to unfold. i really want it to stay in lowers for a while but i am starting to see a longer space between each leaf...
smile_h_32.gif

79085133O423116519.jpg

79085165O968105086.jpg

im getting closer and closer and better and better!!! MUAHAHAHA!!!! >;-D

Check out this mongo N. bongso pitcher I have about to open:

9011aea8.jpg

Capslock

mine is still flat, not inflating yet. how tall is that pitcher in that pic CL? by the looks of it, it seems to be some 3.5-4"tall. mine is a bit over 2"

Your pitcher should have some nice color Santos--based on what it looked like when you first got it. I have a question for you guys. Someone in this thread mentioned they have a form previously called carunculata var. robusta. Is bongso now the correct species designation? I saw a plant called carunculata var. robusta X truncata that I was thinking of getting. Any thoughts on this?

Yes, bongso is now the correct species designation, but I prefered it the other way, where you could actually tell which plant you were getting.

Here is a pic of the hybrid in question, carunculata var. robusta x truncata
P1000090.jpg

5" pitcher on a 4" leaf
The other plants I saw had black pitchers with a smaller, more horizontal peristome. Kinda hard to say what color mine will become as this pitcher may have opened in transit and my normally black bongso isn't looking so black in my current winter conditions.
Last summer                                                                                                       This winter
bongsoage.jpg
P1000142.jpg

The pitcher on the left is actually not dead or dying and the one on the right is newly opened. Above pitcher is probably as dark as it will get.
The pitcher in the middle is dead.

And just for contrast here is what was formerly called carunculata:
398carunculata2.JPG
carunculata.jpg

Showing the color progression. Never as dark or peristome as pronounced as bongso, but I think the carunculata var. robusta has the nicest form/color of the three, more like the bongso above, than the carunculata.

It will be very interesting to see how this hybrid matures. I would definitely get one if I were you, and probably even two, as I should be getting another one soon.

Thanks Steve. I don't know who to hate more, you for posting these pics, or Capslock for posting his.
smile_n_32.gif
In any case, I hope you're both happy now that, in addition to being overgrown with sarrs, I now have a nep bug!
mad.gif

I was trying to choose between the N x Predator and this hybrid. I'll probably get this one. Wish I could afford two (or 22!) but I'm trying to get just one right now. We'll see if they're even available.

thanks JBL!
here is one of the pitchers that i had when i first got this plant.
849N_Bongso_1_1_.jpg

I have a bongso that was not very healthy when I got it, but since putting in my greenhouse, it looks promising.  This new growth is less than a month old:
p_bongso1.jpg

p_bongso2.jpg

heres another update...

went from this....
73262111O824305463.jpg

to this....
79085165O968105086.jpg

to last but not least....
85725828O837725273.jpg

85725788O713447954.jpg

got pretty big! its been cold hence the slow growth here in long beach. there was about a week of warm weather and i think it took advantage of it. cant wait till it really warms up. there hasnt been a pitcher on this bongso since i think november when i got it from tony, just to give you a time frame that ive been waiting to see a new pithcer. i try to ignore it so it can grow faster. so what do you think guys?

Here's my latest, pictured before it opened earilier in the thread:

693b0f86.jpg

Capslock

nice! still waiting for mine to open!

ok so heres what it looked like a couple of days before...
91918313O510904631.jpg

this is what i found today...
91918371O945843085.jpg

91918379O103164944.jpg

hope that it stays flaired...

looks great Santos! can't wait to see it in a few days when it opens fully.

i really want this to stay longer in the lowers stage than the uppers

Back