What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bongso keeps etting better...............

lol we keep a lil padding in one of our checking accounts, mainly it gets used on stuff such as the recent Savage 99, she has made good buys on jewelry and such at auctions.

not sure about the fertilizer thing, like i said its the exception rather than the rule with me. i do feed some of the pitchers freeze dried blood worms during the winter cause there isnt much for flies and such around.

Rattler, I have several clones from Malesiana, and you have the same one as one of mine, which has a much more flared peristome which doesn't curl back, with the purple tinge to the leaves. The other clones are like fc's, tightly curled back peristome and generally green leaves. I don't know whether it's just variation within the species, or some remnant hybrid trait.

There is a nice photo of the flared peristome variant in "Nepenthes of Sumatra...".  I believe I have the same plant as rattler_mt.  Right now my plant is young so the peristome is still curled back.  The leaves of mine also have a purple tinge.  fc's clone is most likely the same, but the peristome isn't flared out yet.  

I found an old photo of rattlers plant when it was younger and the peristome was curled back
N. bongso

your right Brian, mine is just getting a more flared peristrome with the larger pitchers. it still curls back quite a bit after a few weeks on the larger pitchers. yah gotta remember as of Saturday the pitcher was still completely unopened, that peristrome is still on the move

man i hate when they curl back!!!
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]man i hate when they curl back!!!  

When N. veitchii pitchers are pressed up against a tree trunk, the peristome can't curl back.  I thought about putting a very thin board or something  against the back of newly forming pitcher to prevent the peristome from curling back. I want to enter my N. max x veit in a flower show next fall and I might try it so I have really flared out peristomes.

Brian

My bongso keeps the flattened peristome at a young age. Here are two pitchers. One old and one new. Quite striking color change too.
bongsoage.jpg

Hello srduggins, your plant looks great. I am thinking of getting one of those; how do you rate it, easy or difficult?
Ludwig

Seems easy to me. 18 months and no problems. Pitchers larger than the leaves. Definitely not a fast grower. Here's a pic of what was called carunculata. This one's peristome rolls back as you can see, and doesn't get quite as dark.
carunculata.jpg

man the first pic you put up steve, you cant even tell the peristome shape! hey ludwig, steve lives about 15-20 mins away!

I've got pics of the two different clones on my website. The one with the flared peristome had very little colour on the pitcher as a small plant (almost green), whereas the one with the rolled-back peristome was a deep purple even when young. The flared peristome clone then started developing redder pitchers, and now they turn purple as a larger plant. It is distinctly different from the other bongso clones I have.

I just got a small N. bongso
I get night temps of 60-65 now, but in the summer, night temps rise to the 70's. Do you think I can get by with putting an ice pack next to it in the terrrerium at night in the summer?
I also got a N. lowii x truncata, but I heard that those are pretty bomb-proof.

i get about low 40's at night and it does ok along with some others and about 2 or 3 lowlanders... havent seen any damage.... yet.

N. bongso, atleast the clone i have, is quite tollerant. i got it as my first "highlander". it is an extreamly hardy Nep. mine was pitchering happily in 45-50% humidity last summer. it seems to sit and do nothing when yah change conditions but after giving it a month or 2 to adjust it starts kicking it into gear and producing pitchers regularily. i highly recommend the species.

mine still sitting there but should be pitchering soon... man, rattler_mt, now im gonna get into the habbit of looking at it every chance i can because of you!
smile_m_32.gif

well heres the update on mine! its getting bigger!!!

73262111O824305463.jpg

here is the next leaf after that. thats how big the other one was.

73262075O527331681.jpg

man those tendrils are getting thicker too! nice red tinge to the stem...

Hey, I'm getting a big new bongso pitcher too. Another one is on the heels of this one.

b6a88597.jpg

Capslock

the wings look great!!! did yours look like mine before it got like that? how big is that pitcher in that pic?

It did look like yours fc3srx713b. The pitcher shown is about 2.5 inches tall. It looks like it's going to be a big pitcher, judging by the thick tendril. My plant went through some sort of issue a few months ago and produced a couple leaves that were half-sized. Now it's back growing big leaves, and hopefully big pitchers.

Capslock

ueah mine is about some 1.5" so i really cant wait till it does that! my plant is sitting on a 6" pot but the plant diameter is well over that..

Back