What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. alata in Sumatra

As if the misidentified 'N. alata' plants are bad enough, check this auction out.
They are using a pic of N. tobaica and a description of it's natural location to boot.
Think this is the common DeRoose N. 'ventrata' or is it possibly the misnamed tobaica plants(possibly tobaica x khasiana, if I remember the talks we had on that plant)?

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Winged-Pitcher-Plant-Nepenthes-alata-Carnivorous_W0QQitemZ7742555354QQcategoryZ75643QQssPa
geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Winged-....iewItem</a>

Cheers,

Joe

Oh man, I thought I had an easy $10 ventrata there until you blew it. Now everybody will bid on it.

Seriously, the plant looks very ventrata-like, but hard to tell with their crappy angle

My bad....
smile_m_32.gif

I think it probably is, though it really confuses me why they would use the N. tobaica info.

Cheers,

Joe

<span style='color:Teal'>Hello
smile.gif

I do not know if waht i am going to say will make you happy or upset, but the last time i bought an "alata" was from this same auction, and bellow you can see what i recieved:

N. ventrata:
NEPENTHESALATAFEB042006.jpg

I use to buy a lot of plants from these people, and as far as i know they are very responsable and very eficient plant growers. But it seems like they do not have a lot of info about Nep's and this is why they are having this problem of mislabelling this plant.

Like a year ago, they were salling this same plant under the name of N. tobaica. Then like 6 months ago they started to call it N. alata. But what they really have is N. ventrata. Just look a the pic above and another topic in this section that is called -N. alata or ventrata- Thru that topic i found out that my "alata" was a ventrata.
smile_h_32.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

The ventrata "alata" I got from them (Hirts GH) a several years ago had a disease that causes weird rapid/twisted leaf growth with almost no stem inbetween. I've seen this on a lot of plants at "crappy" garden centers where they have diseased plants.
I destroyed their plant before it infected my good stocks!

<span style='color:Teal'>So, your ventrata "alata" had curled leaves and this leaves were very tight ones to the others? Is this what you mean?

And you say this is a disease? WOW... While i was reading your post i was remembering some plants that are cultivated with some sort of mutation or maybe this disease and their feature (what makes them be very expensive) is this same characteristics.

Interresting...
Jorge Joel...
Emilias' Garden</span>

Jorge,

The mislabling goes all the way to the nursery that created the tc stock-which is reputed to be a nursery in the Netherlands called DeRoose, I believe. They also have the N. "tobaica" and created the popular N. 'Miranda' as well as others.
I saw some ventrata the other day in a local nursery labled as N. alata.
Now who are the garden centers going to believe? The creater or supplier of thier plants, or some "Joe Schmoe" from off the street ?

Cheers,

Joe

Jorge,

It's either a virus or a pest, don't know which (no visible pests anyway) but it seems to infect almost any kind of plant. I see it a lot at garden centers on tropical plants that would be nice for my addiction except the latest growth is all crazy and weird looking.
I hate that cos they don't believe (or want to) that their plants are messed up when you ask them: "what's wrong with this plant, I grow about 50 species of Nepenthes and I already have this one, it doesn't grow like that"
"that's how it's supposed to look the leaves straighten out as they age"
"what kind of nepenthes is this?"
"its a "green foliage plant", that's the hybrid name"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Many widely produced neps like N. ventrata have deformities due to improper usage of hormones in TC

Slurm i have one of those this is the link to see one. Messed up Ventrata if it is like that swords then its a TC mutation result of sloppy TC

That's the stuff! UGLY! Have you kept this plant, did it straighten up? (not that I'm missing yet another ventrata...I have so many cuttings of it from my original clipping my uncle gave me six years ago -I could naturalize them to chaska each summer!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Feb. 08 2006,6:58)]Jorge,

The mislabling goes all the way to the nursery that created the tc stock-which is reputed to be a nursery in the Netherlands called DeRoose, I believe. They also have the N. "tobaica" and created the popular N. 'Miranda' as well as others.
 I saw some ventrata the other day in a local nursery labled as N. alata.
 Now who are the garden centers going to believe? The creater or supplier of thier plants, or some "Joe Schmoe" from off the street ?

Cheers,

Joe
<span style='color:Teal'>Hello!
smile.gif

The Griffin: Oh Wow... so this problems comes from the surce...? That is a huge problem then... How sad is that...
smile_h_32.gif

Swords: Thanks for the info... That is not the mutation i was talking about... The one i say is like making flowers or leaves in Tropcial Plants to have a curled appearance... And i guess that one is induced to make the plant be stranger and more pleasant than regular plants. That equals more beauty and more $ $ $.

But this mutation seen in the plants on the link is not pleasant. Wow that is a terrible problem.

See you,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

<span style='color:teal'>Hello again!

Now, going back to the auction that started this topic. Look at the new auction. It has the same info and pics, but with a new title:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Winged-Pitcher-Plant-Nepenthes-tobaica-Carnivorous_W0QQitemZ7743486713QQcategoryZ75643QQss
PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Winged Pitcher Plant - Nepenthes tobaica - Carnivorous</a>

What a mess!
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

You are right-it's the same pic. Maybe it's the tobaica hybrid and not ventrata. Can't tell from the pic too well(If I had to guess, I would go with ventrata, lol).

Cheers,

Joe

This topic has been entertained before, it is not uncommon for large mass-production nurseries like Deroose to label all hybrids by the name of the pod parent. Accordingly, ventricosa x alata is sold as ventricosa, tobaica x khasiana is sold as tobaica etc. This is allegedly to protect their intellectual property. It just gives rise to confusion and is fundamentally misleading.

<span style='color:teal'>Hello!
smile.gif

I can understand that these huge nurseries and breeders want to protect their intelectual property. But for us, gorwers and collectors it is very improtant to know what we have. You know, we are paying for something, that it will be nice that is exactly waht we paid.

So this practice is dishonest wiht us, buyers. But, well it seems that this is the way that it goes... Sad, but true.</span>

It is too bad the mislabling, but this company rules the roost for getting large Nepenthes out in mass. Best tools for getting more Nepenthes fools-er, enthusiasts into the fold!

Cheers,

Joe

Back