What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

<span style='color:Teal'>Hello
smile.gif

Ok.. i have another question about hybrids names and characteristics.
smile.gif

If the protocol is that the fisrt species that appears in a hybrid's name is the seedpod bearer (mother) and then the 2nd is the pollen provider (father). Then, do these hybids show more characteristics from the mother or from the father? Which parent will have the dominant informamation that will be given to the new generation?

To explain myself better i'll give you examples
smile_m_32.gif

I have a N. x Dominii (rafflesiana x gracilis). This hybrid show more characteristics from the gracilis (father) than the refflesiana (mother).

Another example is N. x tiveyi (maxima x veitchii). It has more veitchii than maxima on its characteristics.

So, my conclusion is that hybrids show more characteristic from the father than from the mother. Geneticly talking, the pollen seems to provide more information than the ovule. Is this a regular pattern, or this is only a coinsidence that i have noticed?

Obviously i am talking about the fenotipic details(external characteristics). Not about genotipic (DNA, behavior, etc).

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

Hmm... I have a truncata x maxima I bought after seeing a picture of a maxima x truncata and wanting it. I bought the former by mistake. It's more like a maxima, and the one I wanted was more like a truncata.

I think we need someone with a ton of different hybrids to chime in. Does anyone have a hybrid that looks just like the mother?

Hi there:

Yes, sure i love spectabilis hybrids and i have this spectabilis X hirsuta that looks like spectabilis more than hirsuta except for the  shape of the pitcher (straightened). I think I posted on another forum:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12457

I don't particularly believe a specific rule must follow since for starters, one gets a range of hybrids F1 when two species are crossed. I guess it'll depend on which of the 2-4 variants you get from a particular cross.

IMO, it's more of a particular species intrinsic nature to be more dominant than the other ie, lowii, aristolochioides, spectabilis tend to be more dominant in hybrid crosses than hirsuta or bicalcarata for example

Gus

I have a truncata x ventricosa that is more truncata-like....
spectabalis x spathulata that is more spec-like....

Generally, characteristics tend to be intermediate between the parents. there are always some siblings in the grex that favor one parent or the other in having a few more external characteristics favoring mom or poppa.
We have two different crossings of maxima x truncata, using different parent plants. There's no doubting the parentage, but the two different grexes do look a little different.
Same can be said about a recent remaking of Rokko which is yielding some very attractive seedlings that are surpassing the original in desireable traits. Superior parents were used.

I'm really interested in hybrids and the traits that the parents pass on.  Here is something I find interesting:

In N. veitchii hybrids, the flared peristome and pitcher shape of veitchii seems to be dominant. However, when veitchii is crossed with albomarginata, the flared peristome and pitcher shape is lost. In this cross, albomarginata is dominant.  

In the numerous photos of truncata hybrids I've seen, truncata influences the leaf shape, pitcher size and shape, and also the peristome.  The other parent passes on the coloration of the pitcher body.  Look at lowii x truncata, or N. predator.  

In spectablis hybrids, the spotted pitcher coloration and striped peristome seem to be fairly dominant.

On and on...

Brian

<span style='color:teal'>Hello!
smile.gif

Guys, thanks for the info... I will keep on gathering info about this, since i am very interrested in Nep's Hybrids genetics.

Now i have another question.

If who was the father and who was the mother in an hybrid does not really have an important infuence in the external characteristics, then... how can i know which will be the difference in the appearance on certain hybrid and a reverse form of that same cross.

For example: What will be the difference between N. x Dominii (rafflesiana x gracilis) and N. x Interemedia (gracilis x rafflesiana)? Or is it that you select an specific fenotype for Dominii and then other specific fenotype for Intermedia, but at the end this fenotypes can be obtained by the same cross without mattering much if was a rafflesiana who recieved the pollen or a gracilis who recieved the pollen.

I know this theme is a bit complicated, but i am very interrested on it. Sorry!

CHeers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

Back