What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.Bical

Well Im getting a N.bical from blackjungle.com soon and IM wondering... wat is the best growing conditions for a bical? Im in NJ but wen I first get it its going to be in a terrarium. The temps are about 71F and the humidity is about 90%. Ill be growing it like that for about 2 months and then ill be putting it outside. Do u think it will be ok? The temps outside her in NJ are about 90-95 during summer and 70% humidity during the day. At nite the temps and humidity will be about 80F and 80%. Will it thrive? And wat fertilizer do u recommend for my neps? And how do u dilute it? Also, the plant will be coming in a 3" pot. Do u think this is big enouf for a bical coming from blackjungle wen the description says that the plants are about 4 inches across? How long will this pot last them and should I top-water or use the tray-system? Thanks!!!!

outside temps in the the summer with a little more humidity in the day is good. i have heard though it is extremly hard to grow a bical outdoors in any conditions. you should probly get advice from those who grow it. WAIT TO USE ANY FERTILIZER. it can do more harm than good almost 80% of the time(at least in my experience) Bical's roots get HUGE and you need big pots for it to grow right but since it is small it SHOULD be ok...for now. i have heard you can use the tray method for bicalcarata's but again id get more experience from other growers. Oh almost forgot. BICALCARATA WILL GET HUGE!!! with leaves oven two feet in some cases but while the pitchers only get to ~5 inches. unless you get a greenhouse it will be difficult to grow long term.

I'm also getting a N. bicalcarata from Black Jungle
smile.gif

Should be here tomorrow actually, along with all the other Neps I ordered. I'm excited to say the least
biggrin.gif

I think im getting it tommorow too. When I got the tracking code I went onto it and it sed shipping date: 02/09/06. Does this mean that Im going to get my package tommorow or does it mean they are going to start shipping it tomorrow?

Hmmm, it should say "Delivery Date" for when you'll get it. However, if you have the tracking info already, chances are you're getting it tomorrow. When did you order it?

I'm not too sure then...Either way, be sure to post some pictures once you get yours. I'll be doing the same
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CaRnIvORoUs_FrEaK @ Feb. 09 2006,5:40)]Well Im getting a N.bical from blackjungle.com soon...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm also getting a N. bicalcarata from Black Jungle

smile_m_32.gif
smile_l_32.gif

i wonder where you got the tip from! >;-D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Feb. 08 2006,8:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CaRnIvORoUs_FrEaK @ Feb. 09 2006,5:40)]Well Im getting a N.bical from blackjungle.com soon...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm also getting a N. bicalcarata from Black Jungle  

smile_m_32.gif

smile_l_32.gif

i wonder where you got the tip from!  >;-D
Hahahaha
smile_n_32.gif

All I know is that I ordered my N. bical BEFORE I received that tip. Nice try
smile_m_32.gif

LOL. Thanks fc3srx713b. I was really glad u mentioned it. It came in today and I have to say that I was rather dissapointed. Isnt it supposed to have fangs on the lid of the pitchers? It had no lid and the plant was really small. Ill get a pic up and could u tell me how long it will be until it has fangs?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CaRnIvORoUs_FrEaK @ Feb. 09 2006,1:38)]LOL. Thanks fc3srx713b. I was really glad u mentioned it. It came in today and I have to say that I was rather dissapointed. Isnt it supposed to have fangs on the lid of the pitchers? It had no lid and the plant was really small. Ill get a pic up and could u tell me how long it will be until it has fangs?
Interesting. I haven't gotten my plants yet, but they should be here within the hour.

So your plant is pretty small?

Yea. I just measured it and the plant from biggest leaf to leaf is only about 3" 3/4". Ill take a pic within the hour and put it up. Thanks!

Cool, looking forward to the picture! I'll try to get a picture of my plant up once it comes in.

What kind of conditions will you be growing it in?

Thanks! Now could someone plz answer my first question about the care for a bical?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CaRnIvORoUs_FrEaK @ Feb. 09 2006,5:40)]The temps are about 71F and the humidity is about 90%.

about 90-95 during summer and 70% humidity during the day. At nite the temps and humidity will be about 80F and 80%. Will it thrive?
This sounds ideal except for the part about 71F during the day. This is probably not the best temp range. Bicals respond better to very hot conditions at all times......Don't worry about the size of your plant; after 6 months of growth you'll wish it would just stop.

After about 9 months of growth, a 10' plant looked like this in 100+F weather:
Nepenthes_thorelii_x_truncata4_ezg_5.jpg

So do u recommend a different terrarium for it or what? Maybe I could put a heat infered bulb next it to keep the temp up and turn it off at nite?

In my experience bicals are difficult to acclimate, but once they show strong growth they are more forgiving but still need those warm nights or they will eventually decline and die.

Back