What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mirabilis x ampullaria

This mirabilis appeared to be part ampullaria. It has leaves part like mirabilis/part amp.,chubby lower pitcher like ampullaria.Another unique attraction is the reddish "wings". The first photo shows a mature one ( left of photo ) and a new pitcher all green ( right of photo) still not showing reddish "wings" but already displayed the  red peristome ( inherited from mother or father ? ). The red peristome first appear pinkish and slowly turned red as it get more matured.Any comment. Thank you.

DSC_9268alt1.jpg

DSC_9267alt1.jpg

DSC_9330.jpg

Robert
smile_m_32.gif

Hi,
nice plant. The pitcher shape remidns me of xcoccinea, wonder what the raff did in that cross besides supply the striped peristome!  
smile_n_32.gif

but the plant does look more to the side of mirabilis, though...
BTW what is it planted in? looks like burnt earth?
thanks

Hi Lam, agreed that it's more towards mirabilis. Seem that mirabilis tend to be more prominent in their cross with other neps. The substrates are 70% treated burnt soil + 30% sphagnum moss.

Robert:D

Interesting! Definately doesn't look like a pure mirabilis. Is it brand new or is that as colorful as the pitchers get? It will be interesting to see if it carries the rapid horizontal colonization traits of ampullaria!

Tell me about your burnt soil!
What is it, what does it do for you, how do you burn it?
Inquiring minds want to know!
smile.gif

Hello,

Here is mine :

Nepenthes Kuchingensis

Regards,

Kina

i see that you have a prevellei kinabalu!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rbjong @ Feb. 10 2006,10:00)]Hi Lam, agreed that it's more towards mirabilis. Seem that mirabilis tend to be more prominent in their cross with other neps. The substrates are 70% treated burnt soil + 30% sphagnum moss.

Robert:D
Hi,
I am not trying to scare you or what, but you must get that plant out of burnt earth! Plant it in some other mix, even if it is charcoal with LFS or any wierd mix, but not burnt earth! Please dont make the mistake that I did... 50% burnt earth 50% peat (the mix I used on my first few neps) and it is not good for the plant...and becuase its used on hardy plants, you wont noitce the damage until much later.

Nice kuchingensis, Kinabalu... does pervillei enjoy the same conditions which kuchingensis does?
smilie4.gif

thanks

Mine (and my bro's):
DSCN7999.jpg

N. X kuchingensis 'songkla'. The golden peristome probably due to lighting.

rbjong, is the plant you show N. mirabilis or N. mirabilis x ampullaria? Now I am confused.

Here's a picture of my plant. Are you saying that it may be a hybrid?  
confused.gif

N. mirabilis

Lam,definitely i will take note of your experience. I am watching the progress closely.

Josh, the burnt soil are ordinary soil which the nursery people here burn in the open ground,as a cheap substitute of fertilizers for ginger,vegetables,etc.

Cindy,i assumed it to be natural hybrid mirabilis x ampullaria.

Thanks for the response..Robert:D

Robert, you're right, there's some ampullaria in it. The hybrid is common with those 2 species across their range, which is broad, with huge variation.

Lam,another factor i always water the plant frequently.The soil mixed is not compact therefore water seep and drain off almost instantly.

Thanks Hamish for the observation.

Robert
smile_m_32.gif

Back