What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW?!?!

Is there anyway to keep a bical in a terrarium size but still have adult size ptichers? I dont want it to be 6 feet tall and the leaves to be 4 feet big. Is it possible I could cut off the top stem wen its growing and plant is as a cutting? I might buy a 10 gallon aquarium and just keep a bical and maybe one or two more species in there. Wat do u think?

well if the leaves get to big you could cut them in half. only do this if there isnt going to be a pitcher on it

I think there's probably a reason that all the experts say that this is a big plant that needs a big space. I'm not sure that a ten gallon aquarium could even hold the approprate pot for a bicalcarata. You could maybe raise cuttings in a little tank, but I'm not too sure about an adult plant.
~Joe

adult size plant=adult sized pitchers
smile_m_32.gif

So maybe I can put it next to my terrarium and mist it daily and put a compact flourecent bulb over it wen it gets too big?

Doubtful. N. bicalcarata requires exceedingly high temperatures and humidity; 80F-100F and 80%-100% RH from my understanding. Additionally, these conditions must be kept relatively constant day and night for good growth. They also need more light than most CF bulbs will provide. N. bical is by far one of the most demanding lowlanders so far as I have heard and read; taking one on will be a very big commitment.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Feb. 12 2006,1:40)]taking one on will be a very big commitment.
~Joe
A 10-gallon aquarium is not going to work. Seriously consider either building a large grow chamber or trying a different species.

Wat about a constant humidifier. Also remember ludwig im 12. I cant get stuff like that. I want to grow it outside but where would I put it in winter?
confused.gif

Not to be disrespectful, but if you're 12 and you can't afford a large grow chamber, you probably shouldn't be taking on one of the most demanding Nepenthes for indoor culture. Sorry dude! You should look around at what else the genus has to offer - there are lots of awesome Neps out there that are much more affordable to grow!
~Joe

O. Didnt know that I couldnt grow it in my bedroom with a humidifier next to it under flourecent lights. Or can I?

I really doubt it. Near the 100% mark, humidity turns into rain. You would have to keep your room uncomfortably warm and humid, and the moisture would eventually destroy your bed, furniture, clothes, lights and electronics, not to mention cause a lot of water damage to the walls and floor in general. Even if you removed everything from your room that could be damaged by the climate, and you sealed up the walls and floor to take the moisture, humidifying and heating a room of even modest size would take a lot of water and power. There's a reason why not even many experienced growers keep a bical - they are truly untamed beasts. I think it would be great if you found a way to do it, but considering what this species needs for successful growth, I don't think it will be cheap.
~Joe

Cant I grow them outside during summer and maybe try to get a heated greenhouse or something? Where do u think I can grow it during winter?

If you can get a miniature greenhouse, like the short ones they have for starting seeds and flowers and such, you could maybe keep a bical for a year or two in it. You'd need to get a tray to catch water at the bottom, a heater, a humidifier, and a bright water-resistant light.
You can get a little greenhouse for about $40. A storage bin can make a good water tray for $10. An aquarium heater is $12 or so, and a jar to put it in is $1-$2. A humidifier will run you from $20-$50; you can buy a 'warm mist' humidifier since you're growing a warm-loving plant, which is the cheapest kind out there, or you could go for an ultrasonic fogger, which works very well and can be found for $30 or so if you shop around. A good light for this application would be a Fluorex floodlight from Lights of America. These cost about $30, and you need to connect an appliance cord to them, which costs about $6 plus the tape and wire connectors.
So, if you can scrape together $100-$150, you can probably get a workable setup. You can take your time and just get one part at a time - I'm sure that all of your Neps would appreciate a brighter light, or higher humidity. Or you can save up and try to get your parents to pay you for some extra chores or something, and buy the whole setup at the same time when you have the cash. And if you can get your plant to work outside, you'll have the summer to put things together. If you start with a small plant, you should be OK for a year or so in the space one of those mini-greenhouses provide, but you'll have to plan on getting or building a larger enclosure in the future. You can shop the classified ads in your local newspaper for large used aquariums, or look at craigslist.com - that's a good way to find a large tank for a cheap price (or sometimes even free.)
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CaRnIvORoUs_FrEaK @ Feb. 12 2006,3:36)]Cant I grow them outside during summer and maybe try to get a   heated greenhouse or something? Where do u think I can grow it during winter?
I think the "MINIMUM" you could do to successfully grow a bical is have an adult build a simple frame out of cheap 2x4's about 4 feet high and 3 feet square, cover it with plexiglass or greenhouse siding, and put it outside in the sun, and buy a small electric heater for the wintertime, and put about 30-40% shadecloth over it if it is in full direct sun.

This way you would probably have the nicest bicals in the furum!

This would be a great Birthday or Christmas present for you to ask for!!!  If you need help designing it and a list of supplies you would need, let me know; I am pretty handy with this sort of thing.
Ludwig

Ludwig has a good point, if you grew it in a heated greenhouse you could forgo the light altogether.
~Joe

O that would be nice and I think itd be pretty cheep too. Maybe I can make the greenhouse a little bigger too to accomidate more than just a bical. Where do I buy a greenhouse heater thing?

Check out my tank on the terrarium/greenhouse forum that I posted in your thread. If you use flexible polyplastic that comes in roles at Lowe's, it will be relatively cheap.

-D. Lybrand

Hey, why you don't sell the plant? Or better...sent it as free gift to me,ehehhee! ;)
Man...ahah..incredible...you didn't ask about reaching size before buying it?
Keeping it little is a little mess....
If it is a Borneo Clone try considering to grow it outside.
My girlfriend has also a bicalcarata and she grows very nice also inside home!
Do you want that I show you a picture? Really? ok ok...you conviced me.
Here it goes! :
bicalcarata.jpg

Of course...if you consider cultivating your bicalcarata outside the terrarium do it very slowly so that bicalcarata will getting used to live also with a lower humidity.
Of course...keep in mind that bicalcarata should not live in temperatures inferior to 21 celcius. Put her near window where you will have the most bright and direct light!
Let me know how things are going on!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Well Im thinking of making a small PVC pipe greenhouse. Now all I need is cheap, easy, simple, directions on how to make one and the cost + supply list. THANKS!

Well CaRnIvORoUs_FrEaK,
than this will be great solution for the Bicalcarata as well!
Fine! Keep in touch!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Back