What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How confident are you guys at rooting a basal...

Cindy

Staff member
I have tried it on N. "Miranda" and now on N. "Emmarene". I was wondering if anyone else have tried and if there are better rooting methods. I used LFS. I found it rather difficult as the internodes are very close to each other. Reason for rooting basal shoots? Lower pitchers.  
smile.gif

Here's a pic of my latest 'chop'.
emmarenebasal310106.jpg

Basal shoots are pretty easy in my opinion, but I always let them grow out a bit so they already have a small root system.

-D. Lybrand

Dly, I've been waiting patiently for my campanulata basals to grow their own root systems....for over a year! Darn it!

Anyway, I tried to scar the sides of one of the shoot stems under the media surface...wonder if that will stimulate some root growth?

I attempted to root one of them last year, and it didn't make it. I would really like to be able to do it, as I have a (year old) outstanding promise to someone that I would send them one.
smile_h_32.gif

One method I use to get cuttings to root is 'magic moss'. It's just a moss that I got from my lawn and used to cover up the soil on a ventrata cutting that hadn't rooted or shown new growth for months. Within a week, a new leaf had emerged, which subsequently produced a pitcher and the plant has been doing great ever since. I'm testing it on other plants right now to see if it is really safe for Neps. I'd be glad to send you some if it is.

-D. Lybrand

EDIT: Although I used it on a cutting, I think the same would happen for basals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ Feb. 13 2006,8:25)]Basal shoots are pretty easy in my opinion, but I always let them grow out a bit so they already have a small root system.

-D. Lybrand
What, you mean 'let them grow out' on the mother plant? (This is assuming the basal is attached to the mother plant). I don't see how they could have a root system that way.
confused.gif

i am attempting to do this too! hope it works...

With a basal shoot, it springs up from the root system of a mother plant, but doesn't have roots of its own. After a while, it will grow them. Basal shoots will eventually separate from the mother plant by themselves. This is what I have read and also observed with plants of my own. If you are very patient, you don't actually have to do anything but pull the halves of the soil apart when you repot the plant.

-D. Lybrand

Basals/cuttings seem quite simple same sort of procedure. Usually basals root better for me than sections of stem farther down the vine as basals are still soft and green.

Are you removing say the bottom 3 leaves on the sort of shoot pictured above, slitting the stem in a few places and dust the cut end with rooting hormone before placing in the mix?

Keep the soil just moist to stave off the rot. Keep in high humidity with bright lighting and only mist the leaves daily or every other day to keep it hydrated while roots form. Water the soil only to keep it from drying out totally (apx. once per week) until you see several new leaves then begin to water as you would normally.

Good luck!
smile.gif

yeah im gonna do as you say. thanks for posting this advice! will post the progress.

Pot them snugly and leave them in one spot as best you can - wobbly cuttings won't have a great root system. To ensure a tight soil/plant contact wrap the stem in a wad of pure LFS instead of just stabng it into the soil. Place tightly into a smaller size pot than you would like to plant to grow in. I do all my starts in 1" and 2" jiffy seedling cells cos they're cheap, small and can be placed almost anywhere you have a spare square inch or two. Leave them for 4-6 months and they should have a solid block of root bound moss this cube can easily be popped out and planted in your prefered soil mix.

FYI: my mix is now crushed/shredded LFS, Medium grade orchid bark (allows better drainage than the Fine grade stuff I used to use which compacts overtime) and the larger charcoal chunks in the bags sold by Fertiloam and not Shultz or Scotts (too small). This gives me a good chunky moisture retaining mix. For highlanders add more bark or charcoal this allows it to dry out slightly faster which is good for the highlanders so they can be flushed more often without fear of stagnant pots.

Thanks for the help. I'll post once the fellow roots.
biggrin.gif

Back