What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

northiana

last weekend explored one of the hills in Bau, home to northiana. We were walking up among some loose limestone and in the open found some plants that doesn't look like northiana.Leaves were short,slender with pointing end, lots of brownish/red spots due to the direct sun ( there is no shelter ). One of our group commented a cross between lowland veitchii. There are veitchii around but we have never found on this hill. Yes, Perhaps veitchii pollens blown over from nearby. Another different is the peristome that doesn't display the colors typical of northiana. What do you think?

mypictures10.jpg

Robert

looks great whatever its crossed with!

Robert,
Once again, a fantastic plant. I have heard that the natural hybrid of northiana x veitchii existed, but have never seen proof. We have a photo on our website of the man made hybrid using a lowland veitchii. It has a striped peristome.
What were growing conditions like? Temperature etc? Also, have you visited the lowland veitchii plants yet?
smile.gif

N.%20northiana%20x%20veitchii.JPG

Robert, do you have any pictures of the whole plant. Whilst it is not a typical northiana, it doesn't look to me like a northiana x veitchii, as the northiana traits are quite obvious, and I can't see the strong influence of veitchii. There is a bit of variation within northiana as a species. If it is a hybrid, I'd put it more on the lines of northiana x (northiana x veitchii)...

Thanks for the response. The temp. and humidity is strictly lowland. Night time around the hills/mountains are foggy due to the descending clouds.As i don't have the whole plant photo i will repost after i revisit the locality.

Robert

Back