What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ampullaria (green form)

I remember someone bought up this matter some months ago. I have mine repotted on a shallow tray with sphagnum moss and peat soil.

It also has 5 off shoots after i trim back twice when the stem get more rigid and thick. Next it will be in a hanging pot as the foliages with pitchers are beginning to overgrown.

So far i have fertilize it twice over 3 months period with 4-6 pellets the size of green bean "Hoest fertilizer". Give plenty of water everyday. Hoest fertilizer is easily available ( as least for me, as my dad use alot in his pepper garden ( white/black pepper powder use on dinner table).It is not a very recommendable fertilizer for neps.as it's extremely alkaline. However i use it discreetly,so far so good.

DSC_9738alt.jpg

Robert
smile_m_32.gif

That thing is all over the place!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I'd say the pitchers need something to rest on so they can get bigger. Got any shots of the current pitchers?

-D. Lybrand

rbjong,
please tell me more about this plant.
Do you keep it where? In a terraium or not? How old is this plant? Do you have some old picturer of your ampullaria?
Thanks
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hi Aga, the plant was kept in open/semi shaded and airy place,only receive the morning sun. Age of the plant approx. 20 months.

Robert

Very nice and leafy, the leaves seem a bit big for an ampullaria. Is it hiding more basals?

Thanks rbjong!
I am not so expert about ampullaria but it could develope more bigger pitchers,isn't it?
Anyway...the plant seems to be fine!
Nice work!
My gf has also one and it cannot resist without a terrarium....or better to say...it grows...but with really little traps....I am sure this beauty is high humidity demanding...more than the light!

Mr_Aga
smile.gif

Robert, your plant does seem to be responding to fertilization, but far too much so. ampularia is one species I have found that grows larger pitchers if the plant is fertilized with a natural, organic fertilizer such as decomposed leaf mulch. Although your plant seems to be very healthy and happy, it is putting all its energy into leaf growth so it feels it doesn't need to produce large pitchers. This is typically an indication of high nitrogen and magnesium levels. You may want to ease up on the fertilizer for a while and see if that doesn't promote a better leaf to pitcher ratio.

Just my 2 cents.

phil,thanks for the response,and yes i has notice such "abnormal growth". I am trying out doing little bit of experimenting. The "Hoest brand fertilizer" is very high in nitrogen.Like your comment of providing leaves mulch which i had done to one of the rafflesianas it has shorter leaves but slightly bigger pitcher. I will post again once the photo is ready.

Robert
smile_m_32.gif

Back