What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ampullaria question..........

what altitudes do these guys come from? ive got a speckled one that is doing better now that its winter and the daily highs are 75 and the nights are 50-55 that it was ever doing when i was growing it as a true lowlander with 90-95 days and 75-80 nights. i was always told they were lowlanders but this guy is acting like an intermediate/highlander

Ratler,

My specled amp is also doing very well - I have it in intermediate conditions (70's day, 60's night). I think that amps in general are fairly tollerant of temps - that said, though, they have always grown faster (not really bigger or healthier, just faster) with hot days/warm nights.

i saw some where they grow from 0-1500m so i could consider some types intermediets

Rattler,
I grow the 'Cantley's Red' form in a terrarium with 60-65F nights and around 75f days, and it does pretty well.  (Does get a bit warmer in the  Summer) 

8dfc399b.jpg

Good growing,
KPG

Well, my speckled amp in my lowland chamber hasn't pitchered in years. I tried repotting and still no pitchers. the leaves are large and healthy, but no pitchers and no basals. I even bent the stem below the pot. It just made a u-turn and started growing up. I guess I'll try it outdoors in highland conditions and see what happens.

All the literature I have states 0-1000 meters so "lowland" but upper lowland altitues in a small hill forest is certainly not going to be as hot and muggy as 10 m swamp.

If you've got it lit by natural light it could be the increased light intensity of the winter sun/leafless trees. While amps do have the habit of spreading under the forest canopy in a carpet formation and being called "lowlight" they truly do appreciate nice bright lighting and will show it.

If I were you I'd try and bring that lowland chamber night temp to around 68-73 so they get a chance to cool a bit but not get cold at night, just warm and mild. I think 80 at night for too long may cook your plants and "run them ragged" with their metabolism almost as if the lights were on 24/7.

Just my thoughts.

i no longer have a lowland tank and dont really have any lowlanders other than the amp. im using 100 percent artifical light, infact i dont believe it sees any natural light at all. maybe i had the nights to warm when i had the lowland tank but ive seen an increase in growth rate the cooler its gotten, even my highlanders get 85-90 during the day in the summer some times, the amp grew fine in it its just really kicked it in gear since it really cooled off this winter.

While it is true amp is lowlander they appeared to adapt well in slightly higher altitude. The same as mirabilis and gracilis. Another factor i noticed amp tend to prefer very shaded forests and bushes where sunlight penetration was minimal but their main stem growing towards the open for sunlight. Their pitchers trapping insects for nitorgen and photosynthesis by leaves. Both in balance.

Robert

Not sure who swords was talking to, but I should have listed my conditions. I have the minimum temp set to about 72 degrees. It was a little cooler say 67 degrees before i boosted the setting. It gets warmer during the day, but not much warmer during the cold days of winter. Although when the Santa Ana winds blow it gets into the 80s.

Last summer minimum temp was 70 degrees. Daytime can get into the 90s, but usually only a high into the mid 80s. I need to check humidity, but it was on the dry side, (40% - 70%), before I added a humidifier. My system is pretty low tech. Just a Wal-mart oil-filled radiator with a tray of water on top.

I supplement the natural light with 4 40 watt fluorescent tubes. Summer time they get some direct filtered sun light, but no direct sunlight in winter.

I currently grow bical, gracilis, insigins, northiana, rafflesiana, reinwardtiana, truncata and veitchii with no problems. The amp gets the least amount of light.

I wouldn't grow amp outdoors. I've tried that and it hates it! I'm growing a few as windowsill plants and even that is a bit tough. I've had moderate success getting ampullaria to pitcher in household conditions. I believe it's one of those plants that does best in typical lowland conditions with high humidity. I'm hoping there's variation between the color forms as to how finicky they are with humidity.

How's the northiana doing? That's another one of my tricky plants trying to grow as a windowsill plant outside a terrarium. What are you doing for yours?

Joel

Nepenthes Around the House

I have my northiana in the same conditions as my other lowlanders but in a position where it receives less light. It is doing fine, but stopped pitchering for about a month after repotting. It is back to pitchering now. Here's a pic of my chamber:

chamber.jpg
You can see the ampullaria in the bottom. Maybe it just needs more light?

The ampullaria:
ampullaria.jpg

My little northiana:
northiana.jpg

And the large cutting I am rooting, (it is already rooted, but I still keep it in its little rooting tank for now)
northianacutting.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've had moderate success getting ampullaria to pitcher in household conditions. I believe it's one of those plants that does best in typical lowland conditions with high humidity

Joel, im trying to root a tip cutting of mine. if it takes would you be interested? mine is DEFINATLY not getting lowland conditions and the humidity is about constantly 65%

it went from this single basal just starting to peak out
c52148e2.jpg

to this in about 4 months
9fba4e8d.jpg

plus i have about 5 nodes errupting on the portion of vine left with these basals. i took the tip cutting about a month ago

Rattler,
What variety is your amp? Maybe interested. We can always talk and maybe work a trade for some of my cuttings.

SrDug,

Nice chamber. I remember growing lowlanders like that years ago. I don't want to turn my closet into a lowlander chamber again!! I have enough to do with my highlanders outdoors!! Love that cutting. Wish I could grow northiana well. It's one of my favorites.

JoelNepenthes Around the House

its just a speckeled amp. when i find my digi camera ill post a good pic of one of the individual pitchers. i got the plant from the guy on ebay from Hawaii thats always selling neps. if i get the cutting rooted ill let yah know and we can worry about any trades or anything then. its to cold to ship now anyways and will be for another 2 months probably.

Back