What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

February pics!

Wow man, that's beautiful, far more than I expected other than a full fledged greenhouse! The racks they sit on in the first shots made me think it was a GH but it's an indoor GH!
smile.gif

Much appaluse! BTW Are those pings in the lower right corner growing mounted on a log or rock sitting in the water tray or is that my eyes playing tricks!?

wow nice and neat,better than my book shelf:;):

Wow very nice! BTW what mix do you use?

Those are too d@rn nice as usual. My setup looks something like yours, one more shelf, but also alot less green and colourful. Now why is that?!?
smile_n_32.gif

One thing I really want to ask you is about the lighting. You are using compact fluorescents or what? The light looks very strong, able to reach down several feet. Metal halides would fry your plants that close. Is there natural light coming in from anywhere?

James, I use a variety of lighting. Most of it is cheap four-foot fluorescent tubes. I also use a couple of fluorex fixtures, and lately I've been converting the taller shelves to t-5 fixtures. These are expensive, but really crank out the light without the Metal halide heat. I have a 400watt Halide light on one shelf, but nothing gets too close to it. I'm not really that fond of the metal halide. It doesn't seem to grow things any better, gets too hot, and makes photos look terrible. T-5 fluorescents are the bomb.

Swords, yes those are pings, but they're just overgrowing their regular pots. Actually, I think the visible ones in that picture are in a bonsai pot. Those are P. moranensis, at least a couple years old.

Wezx: my mix is usually just half lfs and half chunky stuff (pumice, orchid bark, charcoal, coco chips, perlite - whatever I have around.) I'm trying to get new plants a good live lfs topdressing, too.

Capslock

I "think" Caps is using mylar to enhance the light too, isn't that what I am seeing?
Beautiful, btw.

Cheers,

Joe

Yeah, lots of mylar! It makes a big difference, especially for the plants in the corners.

Capslock

Back