What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've had it with hanging baskets!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
While the hanging baskets did a good job in providing drainage for my Neps, they inevitably cracked, collapsed, destroying pots in their path. I have had like 6 disasters this past year!

I am trying a 20" long planter with the attached bottom part that collects drained water. There is nothing to hang and nothing to break. Does anybody else use planters?

no but now i started to use 12" hanging baskets. yeah i remember that and someone else that always had their neps nibbled by rats!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

hahahaha yeah i remember now! man how are they?! you havent posted any updates on them!

Nice plants. And your baskets never led to disasters?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Feb. 20 2006,12:07)]hahahaha yeah i remember now! man how are they?! you havent posted any updates on them!
They are doing great, the only recent attack was a month ago and it was half a leaf from N.ventricosa 'red', nothing serious, but annoying. The only pet peeve I have now is my dog keeps drinking the water off my trays, I have a unlimited supply of water, so i don't have to worry, but it gets annoying. I even put water dishes around the backyard, so she won't drink it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Feb. 22 2006,5:49)]...the only recent attack was a month ago and it was half a leaf from N.ventricosa 'red', nothing serious, but annoying....
hahahaha! man those rats! i think you should catch them and feed them to your neps if they get large enough!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And your baskets never led to disasters?

well this is my first time using baskets. i bought these at home depot. the thing i like about these is that they have some drainage thing on the inside so it really doesnt collect water and a little drainage plug so i my neps get dry i can use the plug so that the water sits so the moss can obsorb the water then unplug to drian the water out. these are 12" if i didnt mention before.

Jim,

While I do not use planter boxes for my Neps I have used/am using them for many other plants. I have a 45cm one with Sarr seedlings in it and I used to have a 120cm one that was my "microbog" filled with VFTs, filiformis clones and a few small S. rosea. Of course those ended up in the real bog so now I need to find something to do with the 120 planter... maybe use it for my U. alpina since it seems willing to grow to obscene proportions...

U. alpina.... my Achilles heel! I have conquered Darlingtonia and D. adelae flowering and a few other things, but can't get the hang of the alpina.

What I like about these planters is that they can sit at a window and they have that drainage collector bottom piece so that the Neps don't actually sit in water, like an open tray set up.

FWIW, during the winter months I grow 90% of me Neps in windowsills on the tray system. I top water when the media looks liek it needs it, let the water drain out into the tray and just leave it there. I do tend to use large pots (15cm plants in minimum 15cm pots) so that might make a small difference.

That's comforting. I will not miss cleaning up soil media from the floor and trying to salvage plants and cuttings!

Back