What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My bicalcara has bitten me.

<span style='color:teal'>Hello guys!  
smile.gif

Yesterday i was working with my Nep's. I was moving some of them to a new site and cleaning the pots of others. While i was working with my bicalcarata a pitcher fell down for the pot, and guess what, the pitcher touched my lips.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

This pitcher was covered by several nectar drop and some of those nectar drops ended up in my lips. And what happened...?  I ended up tasting the nectar. WOW...  
smile_k_ani_32.gif
It was the sweetest thing i have ever tasted, sweeter than honey.

I said to myself what a happy coinsidence that this nectar has a good taste. But minutes later i started to feel that my lips were feeling like when you go to the dentist and they use anesthesia in your mouth.

This effect only lasted for several minutes, thanks to Heavens. But i am thinkig: Is this nectar narcotic? I mean, does this nectar is some kind of anesthesia used to make victimes drunk and fall down to the pitcher?

By the way, here is a picture of a pitcher of my plant. Look at the fangs. Amazing....! Don't you think?

NEPENTHESBICALCARATAWETFANGS.jpg

The whitish strings you see around the mouth of the pitcher are Tillandsia recurvata seeds. I have houndreds of these tillandsias and they all desided to produce seeds at the same time. Everithing is covered by their seeds.

What happened to me was an accident, but please, do not try tasting Nep's nectar. Even though it is sweet and good tasting, the feeling of having your lips anesthesiated is not a good experience...

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

[/QUOTE] I mean, does this nectar is some kind of anesthesia used to make victimes drunk and fall down to the pitcher?
You got drunk on nep nectar. That's probably the reason why insects fall into pitchers, if it made an effect (or is it affect?) on you, imagine what it does to insects.

Don't let the toad lickers know.

yumm i tried my Ventrata's leaf nectar and its almost to sweet for me! its like honeysuckle on steroids
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Feb. 20 2006,10:15)]Don't let the toad lickers know.
Hahaha, priceless
smile_n_32.gif

By the way, what kind of conditions do you grow your N. bical in?

<span style='color:teal'>Hello there!  
smile.gif

I cultivate my bicalcarata, as the rest fo my Nep's in a greenhouse that only has a top (open walls) So all my Nep's recieve filtered direct sunlight most of the day. I live in smooth mountains of northern San Juan City, PR, what means that i have a high humidity year round (more than 75%). Rain fall here almost every day, except in dry season (from December to March). But even in dry season the humidity never drop bellow 50%.

The temperatures normally are from 80's F to 90's F in Spring and Summer and from 60's F to 70's F in Fall and Winter. There can be hotter summers and coolet winter.

About the medium i use to cultivate my bicalcarata and the rest fo my Nep's is a mix of Puerto Rican gardening soil, perlite and Sphagnum Moss. Recently i have been adding to this mix pine barck, but i have not added this to the bicalcarata mix.

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

Thanks for the details Jorge. Your N. bical looks great!

You are so lucky to live in such a climate where you can grow these plants outdoors! Most of the rest of the world has to try to artificially duplicate good conditions and it can be very difficult.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Feb. 20 2006,6:15)]You are so lucky to live in such a climate where you can grow these plants outdoors!  Most of the rest of the world has to try to artificially duplicate good conditions and it can be very difficult.
Amen! I'm trying my hardest to get my conditions just right for my two N. bicals and it's definitely not easy.

perhaps it's a female bical,men ain't you lucky

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rbjong @ Feb. 20 2006,11:52)]perhaps it's a female bical,men ain't you lucky
<span style='color:teal'>Hello guys!  
smile.gif
 Thanks for your input  
smile.gif

Ohh High Heavens... I hope this is a girl bicalcarata... It would be so perfect.  Time will tell  
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

Back