What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PHOTO TOUR Impollinating Nepenthes Procedure!

Really thank you very much for your support TONYC!
I will not live hoping strongly that my female wil be not sterile....I try...if not ok..no problem...I will be more luckier when my Nep. Sanguinea will flower or my truncata!
I use use this topic to inform you all!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

After long time I got some seeds and I am testing their power to give seedlings...
Untill now I got after 30 days of waiting just one plant...let's hope and see for the next 28 days....
Here is a pic. I have used no growing ormones or fungicide....
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

seed_ventrata_first_2leafes.jpg

Hey! Congrats! You have done better that I have, that's for sure. I can't even get the darn flowers to pollinate, despite rubbing copious amounts of pollen on them.

Congrats! Did you say you sowed the seed 30 days ago? Most of the seed should germinate at about the same time. I would expect lots more seedlings very soon or almost none at all. Keep us updated!

-noah

Mr. Aga:  Congratulations!  Hope more of your seeds germinate.  How long after you pollinated the flowers did you harvest the seeds?  Based on your postings, t seems like it was about 10 weeks.  Is that about right?

Thanks folks for all your questions and compliments!
So..let me answer to all of you :
TROPICS: I hope also too that more seeds will germinate! But at least now I know that the common ventrata x female sold on the market is NOT sterile. At least. A good news.
I have the first seeds after 10 weeks! You are right! So...to be precise after 75 days! This keeping the ventrata inside home and letting her take sun rays only for some hours in the morning. ( i have not risked to put her outside due the cold season and also for not letting have a shock to the incoming seeds).
NOAH: YEs...after 30 days I saw the first seedling come out from the seed. I will wait more 30 days again.I hope to see more in the next days!
schloaty : from my point of view was lucky to see at least one seeling...people told me that often fungus kill a big % of seeds in nature.
I did not use any fungicide on the seeds and also no growing ormones.
I post some pics here...
One of the pollinated flower after 1 month and half :

green_seed.jpg

As you all can notice the capsule containing the seed were much longer that at beginning!

And this pictures is when suddently all capsules begun to turn immediately BLACK and to crack theirself!
I had to collect soon the seeds, because they were near to fall onto the floor!

marrow_seed.jpg

And now the last pictures...showing fungus attack on a poor Seed!
smile_h_32.gif

This even I udes dried sphagnum!

seed_ventrata_fungus_attack.jpg

Give me your opinion!

NOW I ASK : Someone could gently POST some pictures showing seeling like mine of Nepenthes? Thanks!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

mr.Aga did u place the seeds in terrarium. Otherwise it shouldn't be attack by fungi
confused.gif

I notice those white stuff on the capsules,what is it?also fungus?

see the seeds i germinate.I posted some before and the last one taken 2 days ago.

northiana -  germinate 6 weeks ago
DSC_1790N.jpg

northiana
DSC_1932alt1.jpg

rafflesiana seedling.. already 4 months
DSC_1935alt.jpg

Robert

rbjong,
THANKS for posting those interesting photos!
At least I know something more.
I put some seeds into terrarium and some outside...because I was not sure of the very best way to have succes!
At this moment I have a second seed germinating!
smile.gif

The white stuff on the other picture I also think that it must be a sort of fungi attack!
I have also some questions for you :
- How did you ahve some seeds? From your own plant or from some friend/seller?
- Did you use dried sphagnum as me? It seems yes from the photos....even it appears to be more compact.
- Please, since...I see that your germinating percentual is high...can you explain me your procedure of putting seeds?
How much water? You spry water every day like me on the dried spaghnum? Do you keep water under the pot? Germinate seed times? Any additional tip to give me for a next time?
How much humidity? Temperature?
And HOW FAR are your seeds from the NEON? I have 4 30 W neon and they are at 33 cm far from the neon.
Thanks very much in advance!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Mr Aga.thanks for the reply.:D
The seeds were collected in the wild. The capsules have split open when i collect and some of them were already blown off by the wind.I collect by shaking the stalk into a container.

I use New Zealand sphagnum moss ( dry ). The moss is always keep wet by gently spraying everyday. Use of shallow tray with water is fine. I have tried using and it does no harm except that mosquito make a breeding ground of it.

Because i live in the tropics i don't use neon. Growing take natural course and seeds are kept in slight shade with bright light and warm. Depending on weather conditions(rain or sunny) - humidity is around 60%-80% and lowland temp,where i live around 74°F - 90°F.

you are already doing it corrrectly but make sure seeds are kept warm in the terrarium ( for your geographical location )to prevent fungi attack.

rbjong,
wow...a tropic person! ;)
Ok..ok..my procedures also are ok.
Last question : after how long I can stop waiting for new plants?
For the moment the seeds are in spaghnum from 45 days!
Thanks

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hi Aga, seeds germinate at different rate. By about one year when most young seedlings are grown up,those that are viable would have germinate
smile.gif

confused.gif
?
confused.gif
??
Are you telling me that to loose hopes I have to wait for so long? Are Nepenthes seeds not viable only for max 60 days after they have been collected from the plant?
And how do you see by eye the seeds that are good and the ones that are no good?
Color? Size or what?
Thanks

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Mr.Aga in my experience keeping in normal room temp.in tropical condition seeds won't last 30 days.Fungi starts to attak and destroy them. It is best to keep tem in the fridge.

You mean keep it for 60 days at home,or after sowing seeds for 60 days without germination seeds will be useless ?

The northiana seeds i sow in late January only started to germinate late march. Now is June months i still see some started to appear.

If fertilised seeds ripe naturally ( split open naturally ) then there is no reason they will not germinate if all the growing conditions are fulfulled.

collected neps seeds while the capsules are still green or just started to turn brown,then dry under the sun,their viability is questionable. I have tried and the seeds never germinate. Anyone experience this?

Hello rbjong,
I just wanted to ask you how many time to wait after have sowed seeds.
So...from what you have written...you recomend me not to throw away seeds that were already sowed after only 60 days,right?
Thanks

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Mr Aga, germination depend on the conditions. No ,don't throw away the ungerminated seeds ,even after 60 days. They germinate at different rate.

Ok,then I will wait more.
Thanks for the support Rbjong!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

I have had seed germinate in 2 weeks. Of course they were fresh, only 5 days since dispersion. The seed was N. mirabilis x coccinea from local grower.

Thanks Jasonn also for sharing your experiences!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hello to all!
After long time I wanted to show all how my Nepenthes seed looks like!
I have another plant...that is not so fast. Another died alone without any reason.
Managing little seedlings is reallly delicate!
I have noticed that there are between the same seedlings..some plants that grow much faster than others...!
I remember you all that this is a ventrata crossed with ventricosa pollen!
Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

ventrata_x_ventricosa.jpg

Back