What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PHOTO TOUR Impollinating Nepenthes Procedure!

Hello to everyone!
Thanks to the pollen agency I received some fresh pollen from a guy of Austria. I live in Italy.
After more than 2 years my Female Nepenthes ventrata is flowering!
I wanted absolutely have the opportunity to try to get seeds from my dear plant.
Since it is the first time that I do this...please EXPLAIN me everything I need to know to make the procedure with most chances of success!
Every day new flowers of my ventrata are ready and so I will continue to impollinate all the new flowers sequencially....
If today ( first day ) I did something wrong please correct me and tell me,ok?
Today I used a wet wooden tooth stick to collect pollen and to put it on the female flower.
Untill now I impollinated only 5 flower...during the following 7 days I will continue with the new opened flowers!
Of course...I have another question: How I know that seed will be ready to be collected from the plant? Maybe because the capsule containing them will begin to crack? ( like sarracenia flower?).
And how long can I store those seeds? 2 weeks? 3 weeks?
PLEASE...I REALLY NEED HELP! FLOWERING NEPENTHES here in Italy is really not so common!
Thanks

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

PS: if someone else has some pollen more of another male please send it here to me with priority mail.I will return seeds if procdure will be succesfull!

Pagano Salvatore
Via Mar Nero 23
20152 Milan
ITALY

pollen1.jpg

pollen2.jpg

pollen3.jpg

pollen4.jpg

pollen5.jpg

pollen6.jpg

i thought Ventrata was sterile....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
. i heard somewhere that you get a better success rate when the flower is 60-80% open rather it being fully open.

Yes..infact...if you look the pictures number 5 ( before the last ) I also impollinated a flower that was not fully opened! You see it in the picture!
Regarding Nepenthes ventrata being sterile or not...I don't know...what I know is that I searched trough the net and for example ( my case) the Nepenthes [ ventrata x ventricosa ]x[ventricosa] is a hybrid that is sold in the market...so...it should mean that seeds should be possible,don't you think?

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Today I took again the pollen and I am continuing to pollen the other flowers..
Let's see...please give me some answer to my questions.
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

The Deroose ventrata, the one sold as alata, is sterile. Not all ventrata are sterile. Ventrata is a hybrid that has been made many times (including some seedlings that we have using an alata giant as mother), so it is likely there are some fertile females around somewhere. However, the clone from Deroose is everywhere, and is by far the most frequently grown single plant of ventrata around....it may be the most commonly grown Nepenthes ever!

Deroose eh? i got mine from Lee's Botanicals....is that the same one?

Bruce has all kinds of things, including the Deroose clone.

In the next days I will also impollinate my ventrata with some pollen of [ lowii x ventricosa ].
So...on a flower spike there is ventricosa and on the other [ lowii x ventricosa ].

I have a question : How did the person on my pictures above send the male pollen? It was like a pasta....SO::HE JOINED THE POLLEN WITH WHAT???

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

fc3srx713b?
you know what? I did ask to the pollen donator how the pollen I received was so compact...like it was mixed with something....and the answer was that he simply shaked the plant on a white paper and collected all.
I think that this ventricosa pollen was also rich of nectar used to attract insects!!!
So...it was a really "juicy" Nepenthes venricosa flower!
Today it will be the fourth day that I am impollinating my ventrata flower..I should finish today!
Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Nepenthes pollen is naturally moist (as with most/all plant pollen) so it becomes a paste if it compacts. I personally do my best to not let this happen as it may (or may not) hinder viability.

Cheers
Amori

Mr.Aga he (fc3srx713b i mean) is "pulling your leg"
mad.gif
biggrin.gif

Robert

Hey! ;)
this is wwhat my friend told me,ahahha!
smile.gif

I am virgin for the moment in knowing for nepenthes flowers!
smile.gif

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrAga73 @ Feb. 23 2006,8:37)]...I am virgin for the moment in knowing for nepenthes flowers!  
smile.gif
......... OMG!!!! Me too!

Hello!
The "Virgin man" has received today other pollen!
This time not anymore Nep. ventricosa but [lowii x ventricosa ].
Here I post some pics! Today I have also finished to pollen my first whole flower. Tomorrow I will use this other new pollen on the other ventrata flower!
Enjoy the pics!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

pollen7.jpg

pollen8.jpg

pollen9.jpg

smile_k_ani_32.gif
man that thing is huge!
hey i can see your address "virgin man"!
smile_m_32.gif

YES!
You can see my address!
Send me some money!( many if you can) I never refuse money! ahahha!
Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

You're very meticulous with that toothpick! We take the male flower and physically rub it onto the sticky stigmatic surface of the female flower, making sure there is plenty of pollen grains sticking to her. One male flower will take care of several female flowers.

Trent, dear Trent,
I don't know where you live...but for the moment I have to make in this way! the pollen has been sent to me with priority post!
Here in Italy it is rare having 2 nepenthes growing each near the other of different sex.
Bye!!!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hi, Salvatore,
I don't want discourage you, but don't be too disappointed if your experiment is unsuccessful. Remember what was said at the start of the thread: the ventrata clone commonly found in garden centers and hardware stores is female, but sterile.
Cheers,
T.
15_1_145.gif

Back