What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 new neps - All highlanders

Cindy

Staff member
N. hamata
N. ovata
N. ephippiata
N. sibuyanensis

My growing conditions
Temp: 75-80s
smile_n_32.gif

RH:60-80s

I think N. sibuyanensis would be fine but how about the other three? I will be putting the plants into a wine cooler every night but how do I keep the humidity high in the cooler?

Expert advice required.  

Thanx.

The hamata and ephippiata will require night cooling into at LEAST the lower 60's....and that would be pushing it long term. You'll be better served to get temps in the 50's...

Can't comment on the other two. Good luck!
smile.gif

I don't usually allow my highlanders to get that warm for too long. In summer from July until September the days are that high but the rest of the year my daytime temps in the highland chamber is 65-70*F, breezy and about 75-85% RH (use small fans to keep the cool moist air circulating, simulating a cloud forest ina box). At night best to shoot for 50*F, mine get down to 45*F in the coldest part of winter and they love it, continuing to pitcher freely in those cold temps. Summer nights get up around 60*F for those couple months, the plants aren't that thrilled about it and I sometimes loose older pitchers and new ones don't form in July and August. But everything goes back to normal once the temps drop back down right away as September arrives. This year I'm getting a new air conditioner of double power so I should be able to keep my chamber 50*F at night all year long this year.

I'm not sure about humidifying a refigerator. Neps (http://www.plantswithattitude.com) might be able to tell you how he made a terrarium out of a big deep freeze cooler but it's a small affair which won't allow your neps to vine or get overly large. N. sibuyanensis is like a ventricosa on steroids (not a fast grower though) and hamata grows guite quickly for a highlander and will become a scrambling bush rather quickly.

as said hamata and ephippiata are the only ones that need the most care. hamata requires very high humidity especially at night and ephippiata needs coll temps all together it also grows as slow as lowii. as for humidity put a large dish of water and fill it up then put somthing like a bubble stone in it the bubble will increase the humidity. sibuyanensis is like swords said ventricosa on steroids when talking about size but is slow growing. i dont know about ovata though...
good luck
alex

Hamata does like cool nighttime temps when it is younger, but as it gets older it can handle warmer temps a little better. Young N.hamata need high humidity since their leaves are so thin, but as they get larger, they can handle lower humidity better from what I understand. I have one on the way, and I am very excited about growing it. I know that elgecko and a few other growers have no problem growing it as a windowsill plant.
Read this for some useful info about N.hamata.
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....98;st=0

holy cow...i can grow hamata like elgecko does!!!!!!! my conditions are almost right on! now if i could only get a window with sun....
confused.gif

Back