What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ovata - or not?

Hi,

I got this plant as unknown cutting and sadly it immediately produced upper pitchers and no lower ones. I identified the lower pitchers of the mother plant as N. ovata pitchers.

I only did find very few upper pitchers of N. ovata in my books and on the web. So here is an upper pitcher of my plant:

N_ovata_250206_A.jpg
N_ovata_250206_B.jpg

Can anyone verify this plant being N. ovata?

Joachim

i dunno but its cool looking. to me it has the color of ovata

Hi Joachim:

Comparing the pitcher shape with that of "Nepenthes of sumatra and peninsular malaysia", they look very much the same except for the flared ruffled peristome of your plant.
Let's not forget that N. bongso displays similar features. Some plants may may have these ruffles other don't.

Since growing an ovata is not the same as growing a sanguinea, my guess is that very few people may have plants of the same size as yours.

Good luck with the ID

Gus

Looks like a good guess to me.
I do remember that large curve at the bottom of the pitcher and the fairly noticeable infundibular shape. Other than the slightly more dramatic peristome and coloration it looks quite similar to the plant I had making upper pitchers. Perhaps yours is not quite 100% upper yet? Seems the coloration and peristome/pitcher opening still have a little of the lower pitcher look to them. Or perhaps it is just variation between different plants.

Anyway here is a picture of mine
NovataEPUp.jpg

Tony

HES BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Looks like an ovata to me!
smile.gif
Mine has produced uppers yet but lets say I'd put any money amount on it being N. ovata!
smile.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Hi,

many thanks to all of you for your input! I know it is one of the first upper pitchers and so the influence of the lower pitcher might be seen as Tony mentioned. I'll wait if the next ones are less coloured with a smaller less developed peristome.

Cheers Joachim

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Feb. 28 2006,1:44)]keep us posted
Hi,

the first pure uppper pitcher looks more like one would expect from N. ovata:

N_ovata_240306.jpg

Cheers Joachim

Hi Joachim I actually first saw your photos on the CP photofinder because I just got a very small ovata and I was looking for photos...your plants look wonderful!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Feb. 26 2006,3:10)]HES BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile_l_32.gif
just had to quote this!
biggrin.gif