What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Hello everyone.  I am just curious.  I have read someplace that some highland Neps can tolerate and do well in lowland conditions.  I am currently growing Truncata, sanguinea (sp), and a NoID.  I have my GH fans set to come on around 85 degrees just because I like them to have a head start when the GH really starts warming up.  It is winter now and we have had overcast days, but come summer its going to get warm again in the GH.  Humidity stays pretty good, and being in GA humidity is normaly up anyways.  plus I water the GH floor during the summer to increase humidity.  Anywho.  I was looking for a Bicalcarata and noticed black jungle also had villosa that looks like Hamata.  I was wondering if villosa or hamata would tolerate warmer conditions or if they were a strict highlander type Neps.  I want something with the wicked peristoma like Hamata and can tolerate the warmer condition.  Oneday I will have a highland house.  Thanks for any info I don't want to spend the money on something I don't have a chance to grow.

NO VILLOSA IS AN ULTRA HIGHLANDER IT WOULDNT LAST A DAY IN LOWLNAD CONDITIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DISASTEROUS!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

LOL dang. Thats why I ask before spending the money. LOL I just read someplace on a couple of black jungles descriptions on a few of their highlanders that said these even do well in our warm conditions. No it wasn't on the villosa, but I was just curious. As I said when it comes to money I only want to spend it on something I can grow.
smile_n_32.gif

Hi Josh:

If you could get a N. veitchii, that'd be fantastic. They have a nice peristome and are more resistant to heat than the other two you just mentioned.

Gus

Thanks Gus I am going to go look at those now. Too bad black jungle doesn't have those listed. I was hoping to buy that and the bicalcarata at the same time from the same place. Off to do more window shopping I guess.

Oooohh I like the N. veitchii too. Have to look for one of those. To bad there isnt any with the teeth of hamata that will grow in the conditions I can acomidate.

Hey Josh!
The bical should do wonderfully in the heat and high humidity but the villosa and hamata would slowly decline as the continual warmth will keep them growing strong day and night. Eventually in a few months it will exhaust the plants and put them into "meltdown" mode. Think of what happens when you keep a poinsettia, cyclamen, or other "throw away flowering plant" they sell in winter. When you keep them in your house after it's flowers wither and spring arrives and temps begin to warm up, eventually all the leaves drop off and then it's pretty much gone. Most of these (like neps) are from cool cloud forest areas and need those temps to live long and prosper. In highland conditions their metabolism slows down a good deal during the chilly nights, they're spurred back into growth as the heat of the day comes back.
Get two bicals to make yourself feel better-they're definately my favorite lowlanders!

LOL I hear ya then I have a chance of getting a male and female. I was looking at the N. veitchii recomended by Gus. That is a nice one too. I am definatley getting a Bical since it is one I know I can grow. I already have a Truncata. Those were the two big ones growing at ABG when I went there the other week. Its a shame that alot of the "interesting" pitchers are on the highland plants. Arrrggg. Well thats an excuse to build a highland GH after I get out of school and get another house that has some land for al the GH and other things I want to build. LOL By then maybe the prices would come down a little more too.

Back