What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bicalcarata,the roadside plant

Sri Aman, home to many of sarawak's fiercest headhunters of yesteryear, and along the Lingga-Bakong feeder road is home to the famous "fanged pitcher plant" carpeting the roadside. Some have very thick vine ,which mean they have been here for many years.Because another tar sealed road was built near the Batang Lupar river serving the coastal villages and longhouses therefore the Lingga-Bakong road was neglected.It is a typical heath forest.

DSC_9778cpuk9.jpg

My buddies enjoying their time looking for the best picks of the pitchers,included in this location are hookeriana,ampullaria,mirabilis,rafflesiana,gracilis,and trochocarpa. Because of the high density of many lowland species living in close proximity the % of hybrid occurence is very high.Bical vine as thick as 3/4" (held by my friend),some grew to about 12 feet high,some held on trees or simply lie among the bush.
DSC_9858cpuk7.jpg

The matured leaves are approx. a metre long.The lower pitchers are red,some hanging above the ground,newly open are flushed red. The upper are green or light green with some displaying red-tinged peristome.
DSC_9823cpuk4.jpg

DSC_9846cpuk5.jpg

hookeriana-upper and lower
DSC_9807cpuk.jpg

Robert
smile_m_32.gif

Wow Again!
Robert, the environmental photos are amazing and enlightening. So many details to be seen. On the picture of the three big bical pitchers it looks like the natural hybrid (gracilis x bical)=N. cantleyi vining through the dense underbrush.
Love it!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Trent, thanks for pointing out.I need to investigate more and the area as well,given the time. Also the red lower pitcher "abdomen" feels tough, the fangs are pointing and sharp.I tried and it can penetrate my finger:O .Is that a typical characteristic ?

Robert:)

Is that a typical characteristic ?
Yes. The pitchers on our plants in cultivation are very tough, and the peristome and fangs are hard like a thorn.

Amazing! I always love to see CPs in their natural habitats.

Man, I can't believe those plants are just chillin' on the side of the road. Here I am in So Cal trying my hardest to grow N. bical in a humid terrarium and those robust specimens are waving to cars out in the open.

*sigh*

Oh those are stunning!
Keep them coming, lol!

Cheers,

Joe

Great shots.

It would be neat to see neps growing in the wild.

Hi Robert,
Next trip to Bau, you should try to get some photos of lowland veitchii in habitat:;):
Keep up the great photography!

hi Trent,will try my best:)

i second Trent request for veitchii photos the next time your in their area, i always look forward to your pictures

Back