What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dewy Bicalcarata-Marudi

Need some advice on what to do or not to do with my Bicalcarata – marudi. It’s growing real fast but has a lot of dewy like stuff all over it. Need to know if that’s normal or am I doing something wrong.
Here are some pictures.
Thanks

bic2.jpg

bic1.jpg

9abd32fa.jpg

Wow! I really envy you right now!

It looks to me like your greenhouse is pretty hot and humid, so that is probably just condensation. It could also be nectar produced by the plant's glands-- a sign of a happy plant. Either way, it's normal and nothing to worry about.

-D. Lybrand

EDIT: Is the dew liquid or is it very viscus/hardened on the leaves?

Hi Jeff, If its sticky and sweet, then it is the nectar produced by the plant to attract ants and other prey. It is a sign of a happy plant. The only problem is after some time the nectar spots can get black from mold and this is not really a problem just not very attractive.

Another problem that might be present if it is viscus or hardened is scale. From the pics, you don't appear to have scale, so I wouldn't worry.

-D. Lybrand

Thanks for the help. You guys Rock. Soooo glad that’s normal! I have a little ant problem now am going to put some of sticky stuff in the ant path and see what happens. I will let the ants Lick it up..
smile_n_32.gif

No, no! YOU lick it up! It is delicious!

-D. Lybrand

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ Mar. 05 2006,6:41)]No, no! YOU lick it up! It is delicious!

-D. Lybrand
yeah, i did and it REALLY does taste sweet!

Would nectar on the peristome of a nep taste sweet as well? Since, I see a bunch on my nep.

-Ben

Hi fischer,
All my neps are doing that, it is typical and probably guides the instects towards the traps.

Nothing eats ants like a mirabilis, unfortunately the mealies also prefer that plant. At least in my experience.

Just like you guys said the ants love that stuff.
Look,
I put some of that dewy stuff in the ant’s path.
ants.jpg

have you tasted it? the fresh dew of course!

Wonderful! Nothing at all wrong with copious nectar secretions. I notice my Neps create more nectar when I am feeding them heavily with insect prey.

Most nectar is sweet but the nectar of N. sanguinea Orange seems to make my tongue numb/tingly.

Lick it up!
smile_n_32.gif

-Kiss

OK,
I lick it and you guys are correct it tastes like sugar water. I even had my wife taste it too.
Very cool.
Jeff
smile_n_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

just dont jet too hooked on it or else youll fall in your bicals trap when i gets bigger!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Mar. 06 2006,12:36)]
smile_n_32.gif

just dont jet too hooked on it or else youll fall in your bicals trap when i gets bigger!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile.gif
 that would make history.

Robert

Back