What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

more..rafflesiana in natural growing

Hi again..recently i visited another rafflesiana site,a heath  forest. During rainy season this area will be flooded.The ground here is very soft. I use my machete ( 14" long ) easily trust deep down to reveal the water level and soil substrates.On top are very thin layer of rotting leaves and beneath are loose sand and clay. Conditions is strictly lowland with day temp ranging 28°C - 30°C. RH 80%

In the book "National parks of Sarawak' by Drs Hans Hazebroek, a trained geologist, he described the geological structure of this part as alluvium:sand,silt deposits,and clay. Land elevation above sea level 0 - 75m

DSC_9919substrates.jpg

On slightly higher groung,moss grows over it,ground is dryer as water seeps through the substrates with ease.
DSC_9960substrate3.jpg

As silt,clay and sand are loose and easily erode thus revealing the more sandy lower part of the ground.
DSC_9954substrate2.jpg

Rafflesianas here are very diversified with a variety of variation ,included those i posted some months ago, the not very common nigropurpurea,and nivea with dark red peristome.
DSC_9658alt1.jpg

DSC_9896alt.jpg

Robert
smile_m_32.gif

Robert,
Excellent as usual!
Is the water level like that all the time, or is it a rainy season or something?
This would make you think you could grow this species using the tray method-BUT, like the peat swamps bicals grow in, it's hard to duplicate the natural conditions and it may not work in cultivation to just sit it's pot in water.

Cheers,

Joe

Hmm, many lowlanders seem to have a under-layer of sandy based mix...even clay.

Hi Joe,yes during the rainy season,and some neps are submerged or part in water. Once the dry season approaches water recedes to many of the smaller streams.some are permanently trapped in small pools

Robert

rbjong, why do the pics have a "look" of and old text book from like the 80's? not that im saying you are getting them from there, but is it the camerea or something?

The variations in wild populations amaze me! Your photos are excellent. I have never seen photos of the last two varieties you have there, although I've read about both.

-D. Lybrand

hi fc3srx713b ( santos ) which photo you refered to. If it's 1st and 2nd then it will be the wrong settings of the camera resulting in unnatural colors, whcih i have noted.All photo are taken by me recently. Thanks for the response.

Robert

Amazing pics as usual and very informative on soil conditions. Gotta love those last two.

The solid purple upper is just amazing! Didn't know it existed! Usually the uppers are lighter in color than lowers and typically nigropurpureas have the solid dark color only in the lower traps. Absolutly astounding form of the species.

It's interesting to see how they're growing in their native habitat. It is interesting to note that these environments shown in your photos always have moving water, even the ground water is slowly moving to the sea. It is this moving water that seems critical. In cultivation we need to use rapidly draining media to come close to simulating this effect.
Once again, fantastic photos Robert. Keep up the good work.

Hey Robert,
Fascinating images, as always.  Can't thank you enough for the habitat info you have been passing along to us.

That N. rafflesiana with the very dark upper pitcher is stunning!

Thanks again,
KPG

Awesome fieldwork as usual! Thanks!
smile.gif

You're getting a website of all these tours together aren't you? You should post the link!

Trent,

That is kind of what I was hinting at.
There was an old aticle from CPN about growing cp using a flow table(slanted table with a constant flow of water from upper end to lower end). It makes you wonder how that would work for some Nepenthes....

Cheers,

Joe

like a hydroponic ebb & flow table? Use non soil media like lava rock, rock wool, etc. with continous root flushing.

I was thinking of trying to grow some Darlingtonia this summer in a lava rock, charcoal and bark mix in one pot sitting over a resivor with a small water pump (aquarium powerhead) pushing a stream of water over the roots that runs back into the water bin below.

I grew a huge N. Trichoarpa in a 2" pot by putting the cutting pot in the resivor of my lowland tank, the roots filled the aquarium bottom in a wide fibrous mat and the plant grew great making basal shoots and very long vine since it sat in the resivor it never got watered just misted. My bical sits in a tray of water 1-2" deep that is enough to keep the soil wet always afraid to make the water level too deep. Being on the tray doesn't mean not flushing the soil. Once per week the bical is pulled out and watered through with flood and flush then the water tray dumped out and new pure water is added when the plant gets put back.

If you water your plants by the flood the pot and allow to drain a couple times at each watering you can help simulate the torrential rains, flooding, etc. which depletes the salts and minerals from their roots in the wild and keeps them from building up in the soil. I always use a rapid draining mix containing lots of orchid bark and charcoal to open up the sphagnum this allows a good washing of the roots each watering but plenty of air exchange as well.

The main problem with sand is finding it in a decent grit size that wil not compact on you... and that it's neutral and won't add something weird to the soil. If anyone knows of where to get good sand... pass the info!

Great photos, as usual, Robert. The one of a pitcher with a tendril looped around a branch of a shrub is a classic.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Mar. 05 2006,7:35)]The solid purple upper is just amazing!  Didn't know it existed!  Usually the uppers are lighter in color than lowers and typically nigropurpureas have the solid dark color only in the lower traps.  Absolutly astounding form of the species.
Hello,
I agree with this!! The red upper is fantastic! Cantley's red amp...Robert's red raff!  
smile_n_32.gif
 In fact, I havent yet seen ANY form of raff from all your field pics which I dont desire to get my hands on...all the varieties are so different and fascinating in their own ways... the nivea, nivea with dark red peri, giant forms, squat forms, elongated forms... ...
smile_o_32.gif

Thank you for the wonderful field pics!

Hi all thanks for the responses.
Josh,i don't have a website yet. I will inform once i have one.

Trent,again thanks for the attention and your ability to translate info from the photo.

KPG,you're most welcome. I'll try my best to capture in photo and to provide everyone the actual view of the physical environment.

Robert

Hi Lam,thanks. when i pass by the nigropurpurea i was ignoring it thinking it already dried up. we discuss,thought and hesistate.Our group turned back and  
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
it was like scrutinizing and admiring a brand new high tech vehicle..Robert
smile_m_32.gif

Hey Josh, I grew an ampularia that way. I had it sitting in regular nep mix over a reservoir. I had a little aquarium pump in the reservoir and it pumped water into the pot, which drained back into the reservoir. I had it set to only flow for a couple minutes per day, which is plenty to flush it out. It grew great! I had it that way for over a year, and am kinda interested in trying it again.

Great pics as always Robert! I never get tired of neps in their natural habitat!

Capslock

Josh,
I am not sure it's the same as the hydroponics item you mentioned. Tubing carries water from the resevoir(via pumP at the bottom to the top, where it just trickles down. Just enough to cover the surface of the table, but constant moving water.
Is that the same as an ebb & Flow table?

Cheers,

Joe

Josh allows the water directed to the pot whereas you let the water pass by the roots,did i get it right?

robert

Back