What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a lowland species or hybrid

I love the peristome of throns N. hamata produces, but I have done very poorly with highland Neps.

Are there any lowland species or lowland-tolerant hybrids that produce thorned peristomes at all like N. hamata?

Maybe shoot for a N. 'Predator'? It's a hybrid with hamata and truncata originating at Exotica nursery in Australia(From the Mansell's). I think it's more intermediate than lowland.

Cheers,

Joe

N. bicalcarata has fangs....maybe try N. rhombicaulis?

N. mirabilis var. echinostoma has a wide flat peristome with weird spike projections. Hard to get hold of a real echniostoma though. Mine ended up being plain old N. mirabilis after several years growth.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Mar. 07 2006,10:10)]Maybe shoot for a N. 'Predator'? It's a hybrid.... I think it's more intermediate than lowland.
Well it likes it outside in Atlanta during the summer I can say that much

As Joe said, the closest thing would be N. Predator, the hybrid of truncata x hamata. As you can see from pics, the peristome is more of a deep ridging, no curved teeth. Unfortunately, there are no lowland species with the hamata-edwardsiana-villosa type of peristome. The echinostoma peristomes are very cool: Wide and yoke-like with fine wavy ridges, and projecting spikes! They are true lowlanders and get quite large.

Here's my Predator. It also grows in ultra-highland conditions! You can see the ridges on the peristome here.

f9f25df8.jpg

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Mar. 08 2006,8:49)]Here's my Predator. It also grows in ultra-highland conditions! You can see the ridges on the peristome here.

f9f25df8.jpg

Capslock
i can see you capslock!!!!

can ventricosa x xTM take intermediates?

heres mine
76898668O994685333.jpg

I would think vent x tm would be more on the highland side of intermediate. You folks in southern Cal get nice cool nights even in the midst of summer. Capslock's Predator has that rich coloration that at least in part comes from the cold night temps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Mar. 08 2006,10:45)]...You folks in southern Cal...
biggrin.gif

yeah, true but some nights feel like hot and steamy!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

even here in So Cal! but more often the cool nights.

Back