What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new plants

i got some neps from cooks about a week ago and thought i would share.

IMG_1131.jpg

n. macfarlenei. sorry i didnt get the whole plant

IMG_1127.jpg

n. ampularia, no pitchers at the moment. by the way, is that color changing on the leaves good or bad?

IMG_1130.jpg

n. sibuyensis(sp?) unfortunatly no pitchers either

IMG_1129.jpg

n. ventrata. first open pitcher, alot bigger than i thought it would be

Very nice! I actually have some plants on the way from Cook's as well. In fact, one of them is a N. ampullaria like yours!

What size pots did you put them in?

Good luck with N. macfarlanei, I find it to be a sporadic pitcher producer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Mar. 09 2006,6:07)]Very nice! I actually have some plants on the way from Cook's as well. In fact, one of them is a N. ampullaria like yours!

What size pots did you put them in?
actually i have not repotted them yet. it is still in its 3 inch diameter pot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Good luck with N. macfarlanei, I find it to be a sporadic pitcher producer.

Hmmmm.... I haven't had that problem - my macfarlenei is slow, but steady. Sometimes I see a pitcher produced a little smaller than the last, but in the last 6 months or so there haven't been any actual breaks in production.

Nice plants, but seems like you're keeping them too wet, don't waterlog them and empty the trays.
keep them damp but not wet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (yoss @ Mar. 10 2006,7:03)]Nice plants, but seems like you're keeping them too wet, don't waterlog them and empty the trays.
keep them damp but not wet.
yeah hes right or try to keep the water level about 1/4"- 1/2" depending on the size pot you use. also the trick is not to pot the plant so deep into the pot to prevent root rot when using the "tray method"...

Personally I would take all the water out of the tray asap.

I have a Nep. on my windowsill that is in a tray. It is just there to catch excess water. The water doesn't remain for more than a day after watering and I don't water again until the potting mix is just damp. Perpetually sitting Nepenthes in water will frequently lead to root rot/plant death.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 10 2006,7:09)]Personally I would take all the water out of the tray asap.  

I have a Nep. on my windowsill that is in a tray.  It is just there to catch excess water.  The water doesn't remain for more than a day after watering and I don't water again until the potting mix is just damp.  Perpetually sitting Nepenthes in water will frequently lead to root rot/plant death.

Tony
I always have a problem telling the difference between what is "just damp" and what is just plain dry. For this reason I keep most of my Neps in a small amount of water via the tray system. They've all done well so far, but I do let the tray dry out and stay dry for a few days before I water again.

A little bit more wet than common plants for the most part (if you even know what thats like! lol
smile_m_32.gif
)

cheers

What are your temps?

Usually, N.ampullaria likes it hot and N.sibuyanensis and N.macfarlenii like it cool. N. x ventrata is bombproof, it can take lowland or highland temps.

My N. ampullaria really declined once temps in my terrerium reached into the low 60's at night in the winter.

The other 2 like nights in the low 50's-low 60's.

If your climate is hot and humid with warm nights, the N. amp would do extemely well outside in the summer. It can take temps up to 100+ if kept moist. If you live in an area with cool nights all summer(less than 60 f), the other 2 would do well outside in the summer. If you have no means of cooling your terrerium at night in the winter, freeze a bottle of water and place it next to your highlanders at night in their terrerium.

Back