What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malformed ovata

Rather than continuing to hijack that other thread, I thought I would start a new one with new pictures. The new growth looks OK, but the older growth is starting to look decidedly yellow.

This is grown outdoors inside a tank with no lid, above water and around 4 hours direct sun with the balance indirect or shaded. Outdoor humidity can range from 15% to 50% during the day and 50% to 90% at night. The conditions in the tank should be higher and more stable. During dry spells, I put a vented lid on top. Current temps are as bad as they get, 40F at night 65F during the day. Typically much warmer during the day, but always cooling down at night.

The really odd growth started a few months after moving it outside and the onset of winter conditions. The sphagnum was starting to rot and the plant started growing again after repotting and treatment with Physan-20.

The initial problem, (after repotting):
ovata.jpg

A couple months later
ovata2.jpg

Today, after another winter outdoors:
P1000125.jpg

P1000123.jpg

P1000122.jpg

So is this a fungus, or mites or just a product of its environment?
And what should I do about it?

Hi Srduggins:

If you suspected root rot at the beginning, well it may still be there. Try another fungicide and change the compost. Then see how it goes. The final signs of root rot is when the leaves start to wrinkle or creases show up on the older leaves moving up to the new ones.

Good luck

Gus

If you suspect mites, try examining the plant carefully with a magnifier, or, perhaps even better, remove a leaf or two if you can and examine under a low power microscope. This should allow you to determine uneqivocally if mites are the cause of your problem.

BLIND SHOOT! i have heard about it but dont know what it is....its like the cells were making an off shoot but were somehow mutated (not from pests or diseases ect.) so the beginning leaves are messed up looking....there is somthing about it on Mr. Aga's post.....it happened to his N. Villosa too.
EDIT: found it Go Here as a matter of fact you posted this in that same post. Whats with this one?

Back