What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.hamata

• Thread starter dewy
  • Start date
OK, so my N.hamata came today. I was wondering if these conditions would be fine for it.
Humidity- 85% during the day and 90% at night.
Temp.- 70F during the day and 55F at night.
Also, any tips on growing it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
dewy

Humidity during the day might be too high, but that really relates to how much light your plant receives. More humidity = more light. This has the advantage of

1. literally giving your plants the amount of light they appreciate while keeping humidity high, hence their growth is vigorous, and

2. Despite the high humidity, light hardened plants have the required cuticle to withstand drops in humidity (when cleaning out terrarium, trimming, etc.).

Your temperatures sound about right! You can go a little warmer during the day from time to time, and 50F at night won't hurt the plant.

Have fun and good luck, it's one fun species to grow!

Cheers
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Mar. 13 2006,8:52)]Humidity during the day might be too high, but that really relates to how much light your plant receives.  More humidity = more light.  This has the advantage of

1. literally giving your plants the amount of light they appreciate while keeping humidity high, hence their growth is vigorous, and

2. Despite the high humidity, light hardened plants have the required cuticle to withstand drops in humidity (when cleaning out terrarium, trimming, etc.).

Your temperatures sound about right!  You can go a little warmer during the day from time to time, and 50F at night won't hurt the plant.

Have fun and good luck, it's one fun species to grow!

Cheers
Amori
I can lower the humidity some if that might be a problem. The plant is about 2.5 inches in diameter, and is very healthy. Could it handle 80F during the day?
Thanks,
dewy

Hi Dewy,

I'm glad  to see you're shooting for proper environment! 70-80*F is what my highland plants experience on average but sometimes the days are only 60-65*F and they keep on truckin. My nights are anywhere from 40*F (winter) to 60*F in the hottest days of summer when even the ac won't get the terrarium down to 55*F at night. Some plants don't like the 60*F nights in August but hamata doesn't seem to mind so bad maybe dropping a few oldest pitchers. In good temps and with plenty of moisture I've had N. hamata pitchers last almost a calendar year only to be wiped out by a summer heatwave.

My humidistat is set just under saturation so the terrraium is filled with thick fog (can't even see the plants) every 15 minutes or so. Then after the fog burns off the humidistat turns the ultrasonic humidifier back on.

The main thing to watch for in highland chambers is overwetness. You must make sure your soil drains through rapidly but holds moisture and you have moist air. The minute you notice the soil is taking too long to drain you need to repot or risk root rot. Think of how fast an orchid pot normally drains, shoot for that with highland Neps. Also have some kind of air movement, small fan or whatever as this will help cool the plants and the air and will ensure that no "dead spots" develop where humidity gets trapped will cause any rot or fungal outbreaks in a crowded terrarium.

Bright light will not only give you sturdier leaves but your plants will be far more colorful and grow far more rapidly than merely subsisting on a couple 20W tubes.

Best of luck, N. hamata is a very fun and quick species to grow!
smile.gif

Yo Dewy,
Where did you get your hamata?
thanks
Jeff

Not to hijack this thread but...

Could I possably grow something like a Hamata or would it be a waist of time and money?

My indoor conditions...

During summer- 90's day/70's night
During winter - 50's day/ 30's night

I can keep humidity around 60-70% most of the time. So far, Ventrosa-trada, J. Finn, and Raff's have survived these conditions.

Dewy,
Enjoy your N. hamata.  Josh covered growing parameters very well.  It's a great plant!  Pitchers are fantastic, have a great pitcher to lamina size ratio, and the pitchers are very long lasting - had some go past 12 months.

Good growing,
KPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fischerCP @ Mar. 13 2006,10:05)]Yo Dewy,
Where did you get your hamata?
thanks
Jeff
PM me and I will give you the link.
dewy

You will certainly enjoy your N. hamata.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Could I possably grow something like a Hamata or would it be a waist of time and money?

My indoor conditions...

Indoors it's 30's at night?!? Holy cold floors, Batman!
I think you're summers are actually too warm for hamata - mine gave up the ghost last year under similar circumstances.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Mar. 13 2006,10:35)]My indoor conditions...

I can keep humidity around 60-70% most of the time. So far, Ventrosa-trada, J. Finn, and Raff's have survived these conditions.
Must've been a pretty tough raff.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

N. hamata is one of the CP that is on my #1 want list
smile.gif

Well, mine is having a tough time here. Trying to acclimate outdoors, putting out a distorted leaf, finally starting to grow better and moved in to a little more direct sun and starting to form a new pitcher, before stalling and finally having the growing point broken during a rain storm. I've got my fingers crossed for this one.
P1000040.jpg

Here is an update on my N.hamata. It has already produced a new pitcher that is .75 inch tall. It has also produced a new leaf in about 2-3 weeks time. Is this about the normal growth speed?

Good to hear that your N. hamata is doing well Dewy! I'm still waiting for mine to be shipped.

WOW, does N.hamata grow fast. When I originally got it, it had a .25 inch high pitcher. Then, the 1st pitcher it produced under my care was .50 inches high. Now, the latest pitcher is slightly over 1 inch tall! It is even growing faster than my N.judith finn
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Here are my conditions.
Day Night
Temps. 85F 55F
Humidity 80% 90%
Are these normal growth rates for this plant? I always thought that this plant was a slower growing plant.
dewy

That's great to heard Dewy! I'm glad your N. hamata is proving to be so vigorous. This is the week I'll be receiving my N. hamata, so I'll be sure to post here once it arrives.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ April 17 2006,6:22)]That's great to heard Dewy! I'm glad your N. hamata is proving to be so vigorous. This is the week I'll be receiving my N. hamata, so I'll be sure to post here once it arrives.
Just make sure you give it cool nights as I think that that is the reason it is doing so well.
dewy

Yeah, I'm sure the cool nights are helping. The bad thing is that my nights only get into the lower 70s at best, so it'll be interesting to see how this plant does.

Back