What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My N. hamata...

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
Last March I received a very tiny N. hamata plant from Capslock. Here are a couple pics of it from then and now.

Enjoy
Steve

ham305.JPG

hamata1.JPG

hampit1.JPG

WOW, great job. Does it always grow that fast ?

smile_k_ani_32.gif
Holy Cow Steve!!!! My jaw just dropped!

The two tiny ones I kept are about double the size of the original pic - nothing like the crazy growth you've gotten!! I'm truly stunned by that! Nice work there.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]nothing like the crazy growth you've gotten!! I'm truly stunned by that! Nice work there.

What he's not telling you is that it's planted in a .5" pot.... LOL!
kidding!

Very nice growing Steve! What's your secret?

I'm suspecting steroids.
biggrin.gif

Capslock

Steve, what do you charge for room and board? ive got a lil hamata that i would love to see get a growth spurt like that.......

Wow, that is amazing. What did you do, scream at it?

Very nice! It's been my experience that N. hamata does grow well in proper conditions with good soil flushing. I got an 4" diameter N. hamta from Tony P. and within about 18 months it had matured and begun climbing. I do orchid fertilizer flushes + micro nutrients once per month as well so that maybe helps get the plants larger faster.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Mar. 16 2006,5:29)]Wow, that is amazing. What did you do, scream at it?
Hahaha! I honestly laughed out loud at that one
smile_n_32.gif

I just pictured someone screaming at a pitcher plant..."Grow you fool! Grow!"...Priceless
smile_m_32.gif

vft guy,
thank you for letting us know about your plant 1 year later....statistic is always welcome! I will also post the pics of my Hamata after nearly 1 year.
Continue like this!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

im guessing it is in a 3in pot???
What i love on Hamata
By alex aka Glider
1.pitcher to leaf size ratio
2. the persimtone of course
3. how even baby pitchers have teeth
and 4. they grow....SO STINKING FAST! for a highlander that is.
nice plant i have always wanted a hamata. this is my list of things i need for it
1.low night temps
2.HIGH HUMIDITY(might be checked off soon)
3.correct lighting
4. live spaghnum moss
thats all if i have those 4(3) things i can get this beautiful plant.
alex

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. I didnt realize that it grew especially fast. Its been a very steady grower for as long as I have had it producing a new leaf/pitcher about one every 3 or 4 weeks.

I dont keep any kind of records of my conditions, but near as I can estimate it gets about 70-80 daytime and upper 50's to 60's nighttime in summer, and upper 60's daytime and mid to low 50's nighttime in winter. Up untill about a month ago it sat in an uncovered 5 gallon fish tank in front of a west facing window. As you can probably tell from the photos I recently moved it under the fluorescent lights in an attempt to get the pitchers to color up a bit. I dont keep track of what the humidity is in the house but it tends to be fairly dry here in San Jose so I suspect that its actually quite low. Its planted in a 4 inch pot and if you want the soil recipe you need to ask Max (Capslock) as it is still in the same pot and soil he put it in when he gave it to me.

Cheers
Steve

Those conditions actually give me hope to try growing N. hamata myself. Now if I could only find one...

*goes to ask Capslock*
smile_n_32.gif

Back