What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More unknown neps!

ludwig777

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
Plant #1:
p_unknown1.jpg

This one has a real nice crimson hue to the peristome and body as well.

Plant #2:
p_unknown2.jpg

This is obviously a juvenile plant but already shows teeth forming on the inside of the peristome!

Plant #3:
p_unknown3.jpg

1st one looks like truncata x ventricosa, 2nd looks like a spathulata hybrid, and I'm not sure about the 3rd.

-D. Lybrand

EDIT: 3rd looks like it has burbidgeae in it.

To me, #1 contains an acentary of N. maxima. # 2, I have no idea and #3, I think it's some kind of form of N. alata. They look great though
smile.gif

1 has maxima in it. possible alata as well.

2 looks like spathulata x spectabilis

3 has maxima in it

Trying to guess these hybrids is a moot point. It's a guess and not a true ID. Unless someone on the Forums actually recognizes the plants, the best bet is to try to backtrack the history of each. Where did you get them? Speak with that person as to where they got the originals. They look like established cuttings to me, so there's a "master plant" somewhere. You are located in southern California, and I know that many of Leo Song's hybrids are bouncing around from cuttings Leo freely handed out. You never know, but for every guess someone has posted here, I could guess yet other possibilities.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Mar. 22 2006,12:48)]Trying to guess these hybrids is a moot point. It's a guess and not a true ID. Unless someone on the Forums actually recognizes the plants, the best bet is to try to backtrack the history of each. Where did you get them? Speak with that person as to where they got the originals. They look like established cuttings to me, so there's a "master plant" somewhere. You are located in southern California, and I know that many of Leo Song's hybrids are bouncing around from cuttings Leo freely handed out.  You never know, but for every guess someone has posted here, I could guess yet other possibilities.
Thanks Trent, I am starting to see that posting "need id"-type posts is pointless.  I do appreciate everyone's efforts though.

Ludwig, don't get me wrong. Posting for an ID is a good thing! What if someone were to come into this thread saying they have one of those plants-exactly the same thing, and post a picture for comparison? It happened to us. We have this attractive little hybrid given to us years ago, and it was given as a, "this is really pretty, but haven't a clue as to what it is." . If it weren't for this forum, it never would have been IDed. But it was positively IDed-no question. Thanks Jeremiah!
Doing a little detective work can also be fruitful. I bet someone at the LACPS has those exact plants.

Leaf shape and the way the leaf attaches to the stem are also helpful clues. I must say the middle one looks a lot like a spathulata x spectabilis that I own. Does it have thin pitcher walls? I can get a whole plant picture later, if you want to compare it.
398sp_x_sp_pit.JPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Mar. 22 2006,9:13)]Does it have thin pitcher walls?
Yes they are quite thin. That does look the same. Where does your plant come from?

I just got it fairly recently from EP via Tony P.

I have spectabilis x spathulata also, and it was my first that that the pictured plant was this hybrid. I agree that the first plant is most likely a truncata hybrid. The third could be any one of about 4 that I can think of.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ Mar. 23 2006,4:10)]I agree that the first plant is most likely a truncata hybrid.
SydneyNeps, it sure looks alot like your alata-striped x truncata, on your hybrids page!  Can I add the photo here for comparison?
p_needid1.jpg

p_needid2.jpg

By the way, check this out.

This is what your Spec x Spath is going to look like in a few years:
GardenPictures062.jpg

It does indeed look like alata x truncata, it's a bit different from my alata-striped x truncata, but this hybrid has been made several times using different forms of alata.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stanhopea @ Mar. 28 2006,3:08)]This is what your Spec x Spath is going to look like in a few years:
Thanks for the great photo! I hope mine does that some day.

Back