What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It Came!

In my shipment of plants I got last Thursday all the plants looked horrible except the N. Ventricosa 'Red'. I potted it in a four-inch plastic pot in sphagnum moss and put it by the window. The paper I got with it says the highland like temps of 50-70 with humidity of at least 50%. The temps by the window can get as high as 100 when the sun comes up and as low as 66 at night. I try to keep it a little away from the window but it needs the bright light. When the sun goes away a little the temps drop to about 78. Just now I checked and the temp was 73. The humidity is all over the place. The high is showing 47% and the low is 20%. Is the nep going to be able to get used to this or will it die? The temp in the outside hallway is in the 60's maybe but the humidity is not very high because outside is in the 30's. I have a little plastic critter cage I keep my crickets in before they go to my turtle I could put it in. I could mist it to keep the humidity up and it has a top to block maybe any wind that might get in. I could bring it in if the temps were to get too low (lower in 50). The only thing would be the airflow. What do you guys think? Good idea or bad idea? Leave it by the window or put it in the front hallway which has a South and a East window? I could get pics but I don't know how to post them on this wed site so when I find out I will post them.

Mine grows outside under some pretty extreme conditions. It gets down into the upper 30s on a rare occasion, but typically in the 40s in winter. Humidity gets into the teens, but usually higher. Typical day time highs are around 50% or less. They do get some direct sun, but for the most part are under shade cloth. They can adapt to full sun. I wouldn't bother putting this species in a terrarium. One thing you can do to increase humidity is to buy one of the plastic pot saucers that sit underneath pots. A 6" saucer would be OK, but 8" or 10" would be better based on your available space and pot size. Fill the tray with some type of rock. Get something that looks good. Fill the tray with water, but below the level of the rocks. Put the Nep's pot on top of the rocks. N. ventricosa is pretty tough, the only problem you may have is acclimating the plant. If you could filter the direct sun light with an opaque material it would prevent your plant from burning. After a week or two, start giving it more and more direct light. Misting is a good idea, especially in the beginning, but after your plant has adapted, it won't really need it. Don't mist the plant when it is in direct sunlight or late at night if cold temperatures are on the way. None of these things will kill your plant, but it will keep the leaves more attractive. As long as you provide, bright conditions, proper soil media, pure water and good air flow, your plant will survive. It may start looking ugly, until the new leaves form, but if you follow these suggestions, you plant should happily adapt to its new conditions. One thing I have noticed is that my ventricosas don't like to pitcher in the cold.

REMEMBER: N. Ventricosa is bomb proof! my TC mutated plant which i think is N. ventricosa has gone for almost a month without watering and its thriving still!
alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Mar. 20 2006,1:35)]REMEMBER: N. Ventricosa is bomb proof! my TC mutated plant which i think is N. ventricosa has gone for almost a month without watering and its thriving still!
alex
I'd have to agree. My N. ventricosas are some of the toughest plants I own.

That's cool that it so tough but I still want it to be the best it can be. Thanks for all the advice.

Do the tops on the pitcher open up or do they stay kinda closed?

They open up, Mine produce nectaronthe inside of the pitcher, to lure bugs in! its building up their they are such easy plants i love them! If you can see it on this one, it might be about the size of you're plant.

CheersN. ventricosa baby

CP FAQ Nep guide.
Fortunately Neps are pretty hardy. They can be finicky when settling into a new environment, but N. ventricosa is a strong one. Like the FAQ says, as long as you get most conditions right, a Nep will be happy. Good luck!
~Joe

Back