What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher turning black

My N. Ventricosa 'Red' has a very small pitcher I would say is not even a inch big yet that is starting to turn black and kinda mushy. I thought that this was a tough plant and now I see this. Could it be because the plant is adjusting or is something wrong? Should I cut it off and hope another pitcher grows from the little wine from the leave or what? The temp stays in the 70 range with the humidity anywhere from the low 30's to high 40's give or take with the temp and humidity on different days or times of days. How would I fix this problem?

Is this plant new? Pitcher loss is quite common in newly acquired plant, it is a shock reaction. The plant will slowly adjust. After a month or so, new leaves and pitchers will start to be produced.

Also every plant is different. So don't be surprised if it takes 4-5 months for it to begin growing again.

I'd be surprised if ventricosa takes more than a month to adjust under those conditions. How much light does it get?

Yes the plant is new. The other pitchers are starting to turn black too and one's top is closed now. I have them in a east window but I keep it kinda away because I don't want it to get too hot. Should I not worry about the temperature? With my other plants I move them through out the day to more sunny south windows. Should I also move this plant so it gets more hours out light? Also should I cut the black pitchers off or will they groe back?

when the pitcher is entirely black, I would cut it off. Also bright light is enough for your Nep while it is adjusting. Direct sunlight could have an adverse affect on the leaves. After the plant has adapted, i would gradually start exposing it to more direct sunlight. Temperature is probably not an issue in an east facing window, but is ideal for acclimating your plant to direct sunlight.

So should I leave it in the east for the whole day or move it around like I do my others?

You can leave it there for now. Or you could put it behind a curtain on a south window.

It would be best if you could find a spot to leave your plants and not move them around every day. Southern exposure would be good.

Back