What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

inermis x bongso

hey im getting one of these about a 7" plant. wanted to know how everyone elses does for them. i wanted inermis but would rather try something that looks like it, so im going with the hybrid since bongso does well with me. then if im ok with this hybridm then i may start thinking about getting an inermis...
smile_l_32.gif

exactly, inermises are extremely easy ot care for, wish you luck with your new plant though

not sure about growing an inermis outdoors so i rather try the hybrid first. i dont wanna jump right into inermis just yet...

N. inermis x bongso seems to grow fine under highland/intermediate conditions.  This photo was taken quite a while ago.  The plant is vining now and I should see upper pitchers soon.
0.jpg

KPG

Hi all:

with the inermisXbongso hybrid wide variation in physical characteristiscs, there may some of these being sold accidentally as inermis.
There was a colleague who showed a so called "clone 9" in another forum and i am yet to be convinced whether all those plants came from the same genetic material.

If this is the case then, how do we know that an inermis with a pink or red flush is in fact an inermis and not a hybrid with bongso or something else
confused.gif

In my view, any inermis showing only green pitchers may be the way to go for now

smile_h_32.gif

Look for feedback please

Thanks

Gus

lol then sorta need to look back at what i said then... SEE! now you got me all scared now!
biggrin.gif

alright, looks like you're getting an awesome plant! Well once you decide to grow an inermis and you can get it in a good place, it will definately please you

N. inermis will generally have the slightest pink or red tinge in only the lower most pitchers, all color disappears when the peristome disappears.

On the poster "Nepenthes of Sumatra", there is a photo of an upper pitcher of N. inermis with reddish spotting.

I'm no taxonomist - just thought it was interesting.
KPG

Charles Clarke's view is that inermis is always pure green (both lowers and uppers) based on his observations in the wild. It would seem that red tinting is the influence of some hybridisation.

Interesting, I would always trust Charles too, but out of curisosity did you know how amny plant he happened to observe? Perhaps he observed a small population, I know for a fact mine is N. inermis, but lowers always display a bronzy or reddish tinge, not really high, but it is certainly dectectable.

I think Charles is reasonably familiar with the wild populations of inermis, as he and Troy do tours of Sumatra for Nepaholics every year. So it would be a substantial number. He says that inermis in the wild is always green. Whether that is due to the conditions under which they grow in the wild v. cultivation or not, we can only speculate.

i hope you can post a pic of mine here ludwig! thanks agian!

Santos, here's your new plant!!!

N. inermis x bongso:
p_inermis_x_bongso__SaP_1.jpg

here is the inermis x bongso. potted it up asap when i got it...

86440926O621435000.jpg

86440989O755611279.jpg

86440981O902596802.jpg

86441070O065836602.jpg

86441192O437212730.jpg

86441201O622059953.jpg

Great pics!!!

What an ugly plant. Don't annoy your other plants by growing it any where near them. I just happen to know a place that might take that off your hands for a slight fee, and grow it for you. You can always come and visit it.:;):

Back