What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name that nep

i neglected the thing for a week over spring break, and what does it do? produces the largest pitcher yet.

still a tossup between a ventricosa and a ventrata though... any guess?

nep-3-28-06_002.jpg

also... this happened to the hoods when i moved them between home and school over winter break... a result of the change in environment?

nep-3-28-06_008.jpg

I just looked through Savage Garden and couldn't find a picture that looked like it. It looks similar (but not quite) to one that Elgecko gave me last year and that one is a ventrata:

AF001301.jpg

I would say N.ventrata.

Check the leaves. If they are basically parallel, or evenly strap shaped, it is ventricosa. If the end of the leaf is slightly bigger than the base it is ventrata.

Deformed pitchers like that are normal when you change conditions (especially humidity).

-D. Lybrand

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Mar. 28 2006,9:33)]Check the leaves. If they are basically parallel, or evenly strap shaped, it is ventricosa. If the end of the leaf is slightly bigger than the base it is ventrata.
hmm... the leaves actually do flare ever so slightly near the ends. ventrata then?

yay!
smile.gif

and thanx carnivorous_plant_master
smile.gif
my first nep... i'm hoping to divide it this summer and maybe trade one of them for a raff. bitten by the nep bug i suppose... so much less trouble than the VFTs!!

The lids are wide and droopy... I say ventricosa.

Could it be ventricosa x ventrata?

could you post a picture of the whole plant?
alex

I think ventricosa x ventrata would be unlikely, but it's certainly possible. Home Depot neps aren't going to be uncommon complex crosses, if you ask me. Ventrata is 50% ventricosa, so it should have some ventricosa characteristics. A ventricosa-like lid may just be a trait of that particular seedling that most TC plants don't have.

-D. Lybrand

Back