What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can these Neps be grown in lowland conditions?

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase some hybrids from Exotica. I live in Singapore - tropical climate, ie. 30*C days, 25*C nights, extremely humid.

Can either N. Predator (hamata x truncata) or N. lowii x truncata or N thorelli x aristolochioides survive in my climate?

As a reference, I've had N. x ventrata grow like a weed here; N. x miranda pitchering well and N. x gentle do well too (although the pitchers are a bit small). Each of these hybrids, I understand, has a highland parent.

Any advice would be very appreciated.
smile.gif

Thanks.

Both Predator and thorelli x aristolochioides grow well in a number of climates. I don't grow the latter, but people say it's a lot like ventrata in its requirements: almost none! I haven't heard much about lowii x truncata so I can't say anything for it.

-D. Lybrand

You mean very variable. N. ventrata has requirements?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
It can take any growing conditions I have seen.

Thanks for the replies! If it's like ventrata, I'm getting it. My ventrata is growing so well here, it's permanently intertwined with the gentle it's growing next to. I can't separate the two except with a chopper or a chainsaw.

thats crazy, that thorelii x aristo is suppose to be like ventriata

I believe that nepenthes can adapt to a climatic zone if other variables are kept in check.  Although much slower in growth, N. lowii x veitchii does produce nice pitchers for my warm climate.
p1010021.jpg
Hybrids are better and easier growers than if this were to be a pure species.

Michael

In warm Hawaii, N. thorelii x Trusmadiensis grows easily.  Possibly its the N. thorelii parent that allows this hybrid to grow freely and easily.
Here is an upper pitcher of this fantastic cross!

f4e72bd1.jpg

Michael

Very hairy lid and sweet peristome on the lowii x veitchii! The vetichii used in that cross is a highland one?

Back