What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FOTO feeding Nep. TRUNCATA with FISH !!!

Why did you choose a gourami of all fishes??? Did you know that VERY few fish possess a breathing organ called a labyrinth? Betas and gouramis are the only 2 species of fish that I am aware have this additional internal organ. The labyrinth makes it possible for the fish to get much of its oxygen from above the water surface in addition to extracting through its gills as most other fish do. Because this gourami was able to survive in an oxygen-depleted setting by breathing from the surface, it prolonged its suffering. Next time, just use pre-killed animals sold at all pet stores that were terminated humanely.

Hey Mr. Aga:

Interesting experiment. I was wondering whether you could have used a goldfish instead of a gourami. In general goldfish are the cheapest fish around
smile_n_32.gif

Gus

Hi Nepenthes_ak,
Why I have given a fish to the truncata? Simple..because it's flesh is nearly free of fat and it is rich of proteins.
Sure...it is something against the nature's willen but it has been only an experiment. I know other people that lives in USA and that have given fishes to their plants.
The fish actually does not smell bad....because it is all under the fluid...
Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrAga73 @ April 03 2006,9:43)]Kirkscoastalcarnivores : Wow! I really cannot believe what you did try to do! Human fantasy has really no limits! Ahahhha!
A Fish into a sarracenia! Wow! Not bad!
lol yeah, next time i should try something a little smaller huh?

EDIT: Oh and I'll hopefully be visiting Italy this summer (my favorite country, EVER!!!) Hopefully Ill visit an Italian CP society meeting, looking at your photos it looks like you guys have some amazing times!

Wow. A lot of this topic has been a major downer. I seriously don't see what's wrong with feeding fish to CPs. All organisms would suffer, not just a fish. You might say 'Feeding a Nepenthes a fish is against nature!' but most insects that people feed their CPs are rather different from what they get in the wild. I don't discriminate against 'lower' life forms. I believe insects have just as much of a right to live as fish or we do.

That's why I feed people to my CPs...

-D. Lybrand

Dlybrand,
I vote for you! ;)
Anyways...just think about how many fishes and how many animals are given to stupid death...in my case this fish has served to something usefull. ;)
When I will put outside the plant I will close the trap so that no insect will fall inside.My Objective is to check in some months what there will be the effectives rest of this fish.
I tried 10 minutes ago to take a pic of the death fish but I did not succed to do nice and visible pics. Maybe I will try in the next days.
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

LUDWING777,
I did not know a clue about fishes...I just went into a animal shop and I asked an ILL and CHEAP avaiable fish for my carnivorous plant and the shop keeper gave me this one. Next time I will try to give something that will die a little earlier.
See ya

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

What a cruel way of having fun... Just sad - now I know what posts I have to ignore when visiting this forum again. I'm also shocked about the enormous agreement of the community on this "experiment"...

And if u can't see a difference between an insect and a higher organised organism, your biological education surely won't be very high...

......... are you sure that you havent killed anything? even by mistake?

Goldi, Goldi,
you cannot take all so serious by posting your first message here.
I live in a city and I cannot let eat to my truncata all what she would catch in nature ( rats, little snakes, frogs and little birds ).
be sure that I will not kill my dog for a carnivorous plant! ;)
Let's remain in argument. I am the first person that I give also white egg and milk to my plants, but now time has arrived to make some supervisor experiments how leggends in the books are telling us!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

@fc3srx713b: The point here is that its done intentionally - for amusing or say "scientifical"-interest. And I really don't see any sense in feeding a fish to a nepenthes.

@MrAga: Any literature tells u that prey like a bird or a rat are exceptions for nepenthes, so there is no need to feed such animals! What results do you expect? Do you really think you will see a big difference in growth?

Such a carelessness makes me angry.

I don't see a problem with it.  He said he asked for an Ill fish from the pet store.  I;m sure if the fish was a healthy one the store person would have given him some feeder fish.  I mean come on guys.  Doesn't motion stimulate the release of the enzymes in the pitchers?  How do we know that didn't kill the fish?  I don't see it any differently than me feeding my snakes mice, and NO I do not feed them prekilled or frozen.  They prefer live mice, and were not trained to eat prekilled.  So now that they are the ages they are its hard to train them otherwise.  And you may say yes but a snake eats mice in the wild.  Um Ball pythons are from Africa.  Yes they may eat mice in the wild too, but I would suspect its not solely that.  Its called the food chain.  It may not be the way it was in the wild, but NONE of the plants kept in captivity or animals for that matter are given 100% natural conditions so I think a lot of folks are being too sensitive because of someone saying the word gore.  Get real.  Seeing a fish skeleton in the pitcher is no different than seeing a bugs exoskeleton in the pitcher.  They are both serve the same purpose in the animals its just that one is internal and the other is external.  Granted a fish is more developed than the insect, or is it?  How do we know what came first, and is more developed?  Thats our guess, and since we cannot talk with either we assume.  So take from it what you will.  If you think its cruel thats fine if not thats cool too, but I don't think you should bash the guy for it.  What makes that fish different from a feeder fish you would feed to your Oscar?  The fact that its a garami vs a goldfish makes no since.  Technically a fish is a fish.  The fact that he asked for an ill fish tells me he wasn't looking for the healthy-est fish in the first place.  Don;t you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet?

Goldi I intentionally feed my snakes live mice too, and there are occasions the snake misses and hits the side of the box scaring the Heck out of the mouse in doing so.  I can see the mouses heart beating out of his chest before finally getting struck by the snake the second time.  Its a fact of life, and the world is not all bubblegum and gumdrops!!  Heck that would be cruel in and of itself to be like that. LOL

well said JBOG!!! well said! was waiting for someone to say that! we need to get serious and think about the bigger things that are happening in this world!

you know, im not trying to bash anyone, after all its just a point of veiw right?
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Goldi @ April 04 2006,6:21)]What a cruel way of having fun... Just sad - now I know what posts I have to ignore when visiting this forum again. I'm also shocked about the enormous agreement of the community on this "experiment"...

And if u can't see a difference between an insect and a higher organised organism, your biological education surely won't be very high...
Well I don't think there is a difference between an insect and a fish. They're both creatures that live on this planet and one isn't more important than the other.

No, it's not 'fun' to see a fish die and get absorbed by a plant. No more fun than seeing a bug getting enveloped by a sundew. If anything it's just incredibly interesting.

I stopped having 'fun' with CPs back when I was killing VFT after VFT (unintentionally of course!)
smile_n_32.gif

Plus you just have to know that we're all very nice and good people on this forum so don't let this thread scare you away!

Josh,
How many snakes do you have and what are they? Just curious, as I have not seen many that will not switch to pre-killed thawed mice.
We need Mike Howlett(Houstonherps) to chime in on this(Pyro and Rattler also have experience here), but the biggest reason I would not risk using live mice(unless absolutely no other option), is the snake's risk of getting bit by the mouse. That could cause a nasty infection. The wimpy answer is of course it's also more humane for the mouse to be euthanized by rodent companies than to get constricted, but to not allow the snake to get injured is the biggy there. I have a feeling that "mouse sympathy" is not going to win votes with the majority here.
Of course, I only have a small Mexican black king at the moment and she eats fuzzies, so she would probably not get bit at this stage(but she eats thawed).

Joe

does the rats/mouse smell when thawed?

Not really. Any damp furry thing is going to have a smell.The companies that package these put out a pretty clean product, actually.

Yes, I can confirm that I asked to the shop keeper already if he had to sell me an ill fish that was already a little acting strange.
I told him that it was for my carnivorous plant. Infact he knows me aleady because I buy from him the Inverse Osmose Water for my plants.
I could ask him to sell me also with half price an old little white rat for my truncata. Anyway maybe I will use already frozen rats...I still don't know...it is still to early to tell how the plant will react and if truncata will take advantages of it.
Today I tried to take some photos of the inside of the pitcher and all what I noticed was only the sagoma of the ex - fish. Notice also that the inner WALL of the lid has all turned black.
The water is filled with many pieces of organic substances. I will continue to observe and letting you know.

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

truncata_fish1.jpg

Back