What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing outside

I want to try to grow a nepethes outside my house. Where I live does not get too hot or too cold. I plan to hang it from a tree so that it recieves morning sun and is then shaded for the rest of the day. I'll need something that can handle the lack of humidity and the warm summers.

I was thinking:
Ventrata
Ventricosa
Alata
maybe Sanguinea?

I'd like suggestions on which one to try, and how to go about a hanging basket.
anyone in CA grow outside?

Thanks,
Chris

If you are close to the coast and get cool nights and/or fog, you can probably grow a number of species. What I do is I've got a mini greenhouse made of PVC and plastic, and I keep lowland neps in trays underneath it during the summer (starting now). I've also got a Gubler's hybrid that was in a terrarium outside. It grew very well during the summer and slowed down for winter. If you hang plants from a tree you will have issues with the soil drying out on hot summer days. Unless you thing you can faithfully water them at least once every single day.

Peter

Thanks for the reply,

yeah I'm a little worried about the watering, it will might get very dry in the summer and the occasional light frost in winter discourages me as well, I live near the coast but not on the coast so my humidy will be a large limiting factor in choosing the plant.

thanks,
Chris

i grow them outdoors but there are some that play it by the book, even if theyre growing them in less than ideal conditions. well i see that you live in the bay area, where exactly? i live in long beach.

nepentheshighlandsetup28ew.jpg

i advise you to let no one tell you what to do. sure you can try!
smile.gif

look what at the pic. but i can tell you one thing, they grow slower in these conditions. all the plants that you listed sholud do well, heck maybe even in full sun!

Thanks,
I live in Walnut Creek, so east bay, over the Berkely hills so not even near the bay really...

I think I will give it a try, I know the UC berkley botanical garden has some ventricosa/alata/ventrata, that they label poorly, for cheap, I'll get one of those and see what happens. I sorta dreamed a nep growing up and vineing into the tree.

EDIT: (I'm a terrible speller)

Stupid question, but where does one get a alata these days, lol? If you see one at a garen center, it's probably a mislabled ventrata. That said, a ventrata would be the perfect candidate to start with.

Cheers,

Joe

Well like I said I live about a half hour from UC Berkeley(and its amazing botanical garden) They have alatas there, and usually have a few for sale, as well as things labeled as ventricosa that seem to mostly be ventrata.

yeah I think I'll go with a ventrata, though I dont have an alata at all so I might pick an alata to try.
whatever happens its fun to try something new.

thanks again,
Chris

yeah thats how it should be. then when you are for sure that you got the hang of growing outdoors then thats when you want to expand... hybrids are the easier if the neps, although my bongso is showing good growth now...

Slightly different conditions, but you might get some ideas here: http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/

cal should be perfect for them!! cal and fl are basically the only states you can pull it off with

Thanks guys,

Nice site Nepsaroundthehouse, I think I've stumbled across it before.

I'll go to Cal this saturday and give it a go!

What about truncata? Isn't it supposed to be tolerant of low humidity? And showy to boot if you find one of the striped-peristome varieties. Best luck - I want to try Neps outside in the summer here, but I live in one of the windiest spots in town and we easily get 10% humidity on a breezy day.
~Joe

well i have both highland and lowland outdoors. the lowlander for me seems to be slower because its lowlander. my other two highlanders are fine and pitcher...

Wow, fc3srx713b, Thats cool you can grow all those species outside. If this works out as well as your do, I wont need to worry about growing space anymore haha

laugh.gif
well just take it easy and be careful! try one at a time... im at over 50 neps in one year!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
costly too, about 800.00+

hey trainspotting, I'm in Concord, so i'm in the city right next to yours! I haven't tried Nepenthes outdoors without humidity control yet, but I did have an outdoor terrarium that N. ventricosa and ventrata grew in. Let me know how the CP for sale at Cal Botanical Gardens are. I havent been there for like 8 years. I remember seeing N. ventricosa and S. leucophylla for sale sitting outside.

They had some S. flavas and S. alatas it looked like (I didn't look close). They only had one nep, a ventricosa with two growing points, at 17$ I decided not to get it. (this might be too much advertising of competitors for this site) They had signs for a plant sale on the 29th so you might want to check it out again then.

Back