What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cedar Mulch VS Orchid bark/Coco husk

I was looking for some mulch to put over some rescued wildflowers I ordered from Wood's End Rescue and of course, mulch only comes in palate sized loads... I found some "all natural/untreated" Cedar Mulch which is shredded into very small pieces almost like coco fiber (not quite that fine). I was curious if I'd be able to use this stuff in my soil mixes without any detrimental side effects? I use orchid bark in everything from houseplants to Nepenthes and I have about 20 lbs left over after covering 4 planters.

I "think" Trent Meeks recommended a similar product that he has in Florida.

Cheers,

Joe

Just by playing with the stuff, I think it would be amazing all by itself for highlanders especially (rapid as heck drainage but holds a nice amount of water) with just a top dressing of shredded live sphagnum as a wetness indicator. I just wonder if anyone knows if it has any salts or other deviant nutrients that may not be immediately apparent.

I think that would all depend on the source.

I'd test it out on a few throw away plants (D. capensis, U. livida, D. spatulata, etc.) Then if things go well start trying it on other plants that you have spares of.

It's called "Nature's Harvest Cedar Mulch". Looks as if it's packaged in Maine. the maker is: Kevlaur

This is not their "Bug Buster" cedar mulch, just the run of the mill stuff, it does have a cedar scent though.

Better yet, I've just emailed them to see what their production process is. They may say it's all confidential but hopefully they'll respond in some fashion as to what may or may not be washed over the stuff as it's being bagged. I'll let you all in on what they say as I told them I'd be using it as a part of soil mixes for exotic plants because it was "such a nicely prepared product" (gotta kiss a little a sometimes!).

IIRC PingMan uses cedar mulch in the bottom of all his pots as a drainage layer and to prevent the formation of anaerobic conditions that lead to that funky sulfer smell. Something in the cedar has antimicrobial properties.

All told I'd say give it a run on a test plant, something expendable and see how it goes. That is how I discovered that pine bark mulch is a good media.

We've been using Cypress Mulch, the brand is Corbitt "No Float" (contains no chemicals, no pressure treated scrap wood). We buy it at Lowes in the garden department with all the other mulch. Boy, is it less expensive than orchid bark, and it doesn't break down. We've been using it for a few years now, and the Neps really love it.
We mix the cypress mulch with sponge rock (puffed perlite), long fiber sphagnum moss, pumice, aliflor, coco chips, and for certain plants we use peat moss too. It seems our mix is a little different every batch we make, but making mix is like cooking. Like a chef, I cook up those Neps a fine mix!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ April 06 2006,7:39)]It seems our mix is a little different every batch we make, but making mix is like cooking.  Like a chef, I cook up those Neps a fine mix!
I would deffinately try a few expendable plants first. The plants may not like the aromatic oils in the cedar wood. Let me know how you make out. The cedar should be fairly resistant to decomposition.

I am going to see if they have the cypress mulch at our Lowes. I am always looking for material that has the properties I need and cost the least! Every batch is indeed a little different Trent lol!

Tony

I've got a Nep potted in it with perlite and clay soil conditioner (small granules of baked clay like grit-also sold as "aquatic plant soil"). All about the plant I've placed chopped live sphagnum. This plant's above ground portion rotted after I repotted it in January so it was on it's way out but the base and roots seem to be very firm and have some emerging bumps just above the rootstock which appepar to me as if some nodes may still become active if cared for gingerly.

I'm sure you guys know this but you can make a more homogenous mix by making a huge batch. I've been mixing up soil in a 66 quart tub lately and it sure beats using the old 5 gallon pail for mixing media.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]IIRC PingMan uses cedar mulch in the bottom of all his pots as a drainage layer and to prevent the formation of anaerobic conditions that lead to that funky sulfer smell. Something in the cedar has antimicrobial properties.

Wouldn't raise the perch layer? Well, I suppose it'd only matter depending on what you're growing... Meh, if it works, then it works.

I have a friend who uses 100% ceder mulch on her Phals and they look great. I would be more worried the pine would affect the plants before the ceder, but aparently that is fine too. That sounds like agreat additive to open up the mix I will try it next time I repot and see how things go. Goodluck and let us know if that Hepenthes on its last leg make it or not.

I've used up that huge bag of cedar mulch now on all sorts of things that needed potting, lilies, brugmansia, daturas, irises, gingers, aroids and much more. It makes an awesome looking/feeling loamy soil when mixed with peat and perlite. Very light and airy compared to straight garden soil. I think it should be good for lots of stuff. I was avoiding cypress as they grow in seawater/costal areas do they not?

I did check the one and only Lowes in the twin cities and they didn't have the Corbitt brand, it must be a regional thing. They also didn't have the Nature's Harvest stuff that I got at home depot.
smile_h_32.gif

I'll be a steady customer of this stuff if this season goes well it seems to be a great additive for almost every soil mix I've tried with it!

The Corbit is sold as "No Float" at Lowe's. I think it might be regional. Cypress is a freshwater tree, growing in swampy areas. It is a renewable resource and fast growing. It's all over Florida. Remember, Florida is a collection of lakes and swamps surrounded on three sides by the sea.

Hmm, maybe it's Mangroves I'm thinking of...? But there was no "No Float" or Corbitt brand stuff. There was shredded cypress mulch but I think it had been "color adjusted" as they had bags of maroon and pure black and I know I didn't want that altered stuff. There was signs all over lowes that said "none of our mulch is from Katrina affected region" so perhaps they quit pulling mulch from down south for a while?

I looked for Tren't stuff online, but could not find it, lol.
I guess read the bags and soak/rinse well. Try it out on those ventrata!

Cheers,

Joe

Here's Corbitt's website
http://www.cypress-mulch.com/

They do sell their of 3 cu/ft bags of products, but it's wholesale (you have to buy a pallet of 75 bags- and we're not going to do that!)...

The other day I was at a nursery supply store (UESCO) and just happened to notice a huge stack of Corbitt "grade A" Cypress mulch in 3 cu/ft bags for $4 or $5 each... guess I won't be going to Lowe's anymore.

Keep an eye out for local distributors (or perhaps Corbitt has some retail links or info?).

Also, we were told some Walmart garden centers in North Carolina sell the No Float.

Back