What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. vogellii on its way out?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ April 17 2006,10:05)]Oh boy, now its a mystery plant!
No I still believe it now could be an hamata. When I mentioned whether it might be the hairy form, my tongue was firmly in my cheek
smile_m_32.gif

cheers

bill

It could be, still too young to tell I believe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fly-catchers @ April 17 2006,9:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ April 17 2006,10:05)]Oh boy, now its a mystery plant!
No I still believe it now could be an hamata. When I mentioned whether it might be the hairy form, my tongue was firmly in my cheek  
smile_m_32.gif

cheers

bill
Really? Did I just get douped?
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ April 16 2006,11:28)]The hairy N. hamata are proving so far to be very difficult in cultivation. I think everyone agrees on that.
Dear Rob,

i also bought the hairy form and can agree that. Only with temperatures around 10° night and 20° day, this form seems to grow fast.
Today she is about 5cm (September - 2,5cm) but the winter is over now - lets see what will happen with +5 ° more.

Greetings,
Dominik

Hi Bill,

Its a mystery to me as well what you have got. If this was a mislabeling from my end the only other plant that this could  possibly be is N.platychilla as I recieved these at the same time, but it doesnt look like that to me either.  

Tony is correct the hairy hamata was not available until last summer and besides you never bought one..at least not intentionally.

Cheers

Simon

OK, that's quite right. The fuzzy hamata wasn't released until later and by that time there is no way we'd need to ship N. platychila or N. vogelii at such a tiny size.

I can't figure this. It looks to my rheumy old eyes as though I can see vestigial teeth on the peristome there. I was looking at some young fuzzy N. hamata in the nursery only today and they look just like that. If my camera wasn't playing up I'd take a photo. However, immature pitchers of several species have apparent teeth on the peristomes.

So Watson, what do we know about this little victim, eh?
smile_m_32.gif

1) A seedling that looks for all the world like a little N. hamata in the collection of someone who has never bought one.

2) The plant was apparently bought from Simon about a year before BE (or anyone else) ever released fuzzy N. hamata at any size.

3) BE never released the 'standard' N. hamata at such a small size.

4) Bill is sane (assumption!).

5) It looks as though the victim may not survive to live to a more mature age, whereupon it may reveal it's true identity.

Hmm, tricky one...

Hi
I am beginning to regret ever mentioning the hairy hamata now, as its rather clouded the issue.
smile_m_32.gif

I never seriously thought it was the hairy form, or indeed that it might not in fact be anything other than an ailing N.vogelli. As I have been convinced that it may well not indeed be a vogelli where does that leave me? This is the plant I got from Simon in 2004 as a very young seedling vogelli. Mistakes can happen particulary with such small specimen and I hope this can be remedied.

cheers

bill

I have not been following this too closely so perhaps it has already been mentioned but is there the slightest chance that it is perhapse some type of hybrid?? vogelli x ?

It has happened before, I mean we have the jaqu x izumae that popped up as a mystery seedling in a batch of jaqs...

Bill, my tongue was firmly in my cheek too, just kidding around. I hope your not offended. I know that it's sad trying to nurse a plant that's ailing for unknown reasons. Just trying to make light of it
smile.gif

Are you going to the EEE? I'm not sure if I will be bringing plants there or not but if at al possible I'd be happy to bring a N. vogelii as a gift, since for whatever reason, you've been deprived of one.

Pyro, the N. jacquelineae x izumiae hybrids are actually quite distinctive, even at an early age if one knows what to look for. So far, no hybrids have been reported with N. vogelii even out of quite a large number of plants many of which have reached a decent size by now.

Hey Rob,

It was just a random though I had. I don't know much about vogelii's history but I figured I'd toss it out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ April 18 2006,10:20)]Bill, my tongue was firmly in my cheek too, just kidding around. I hope your not offended. I know that it's sad trying to nurse a plant that's ailing for unknown reasons. Just trying to make light of it
smile.gif

Are you going to the EEE? I'm not sure if I will be bringing plants there or not but if at al possible I'd be happy to bring a N. vogelii as a gift, since for whatever reason, you've been deprived of one.
Hi Rob,
No I am not offended
smile_m_32.gif

Unfortunately I won't be going to the EEE, is that the event in Germany?

cheers

bill

Back