What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hi all, just wanted to share if anyone had experience raising neps seeds germinated with 2 or more varieties from one parent plant. This happened to the rafflesiana elongata seeds i collected and germinated 3 months ago. 2 weeks ago i saw some plants ( i counted to date are 5 young plants ) which germinated with slightly different structure-has longer stem., leaves are longer and slender.They are growing faster than the young raffs in the same container-1" as compare to raffs 1cm tall.But Raffs has put on extra leaves .I use pure NZ sphagnum moss,nothing esle was added. Could these be cross species.If so then i assume they can be gracilis and mirabilis or either one of them. Seeds were collected from Lundu where raffs,gracilis and mirabilis were growing together. Thanks for feedbacks in advance.

DSC_0440alt.jpg

DSC_0441alt.jpg

Robert
smile_m_32.gif

Hi Robert,

to my eyes these bigger seedlings aren't Nepenthes at all. Maybe you also collected something else?

Cheers Joachim

Yeah that does look like a common plant. All Neps I am aware of put on pitchers on the 3rd leaf or so, even when tiny.

OMG
biggrin.gif
maybe some foreign seeds stick to the neps seeds i collected,and now they grow together.

Robert

As mentioned above - the foreigner is clearly a monocot.

I've had some strange grasses grow from using dried LFS moss.

It looks like the plants I've seen that sprout from birdseed. Yours may be a bit small for that though.

rbjong,
how long did the germination last? How much time did you have to wait to see the first plants?
Which is the humidity and the temperature? tell us something more about how the germination became a succes.
Thanks

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hi thanks all for the reply. Mr.Aga,i live in the tropics. Growing is natural lowland conditions.I spread the seeds on pure sphagnum moss.All the while i keep them in nursery shade. Germination were observed 3 weeks later. It is now 10 weeks and i still see some germination among the slower one. The seeds are collected from rafflesiana elongata.

Robert
smile_m_32.gif

Mr_Aga falls incoscionsus on the floor! ;)

Back