What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 leaf = 2 pitchers.

<span style='color:teal'>Hello!

I prunned some of my ventricosa plants like a month ago. One of those plants is showing a real crazy new growth. On the 2 newest leaves there are 2 pitchers developing on each leaf.

NEPENTHESVENTRICOSADUALPITCHER2.jpg

Here you can see a brighter pic. I know it is blury and it is not of a good quality, but you can see the tips of those 2 pitchers shining.
NEPENTHESVENTRICOSADUALPITCHER1.jpg

Lokking closser, but with the same low quality picture, you can see that the growing point has also 2 pitchers in the same leaf:
NEPENTHESVENTRICOSADUALPITCHER3.jpg

I made the prunning while we were going thru the dry season here in PR. But now that rain has come back the old plants are producing the new growing points. This plant, in specific, is the only one that is in shade, the other plants are under full sun. But this one is under a huge Juniper square hanging pot that gives it shade the whole day. So, since there is a lot of rain and this plant is recieving too much shade, I guess that the humidity is too high and is causing this.

What do you think?</span>

Maybe there's a good chance that you've induced fasciation in your plant - the new growth may have been damaged in one way or another (so many possibilities). That would be very neat. I have seen this happen before though, on a newly rooted N. fusca cutting, but never beyond the first fully developed leaf.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Cheers

Would be awesome if it kept up! Keep us posted on develpment of the pitchers and the plant as a whole. Very neet.
smile.gif

wow.....hope you could post some clearer pictures! Those ones are really rare events from my point of view!
Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan

<span style='color:teal'>I will try to take better and cleared pics. I'll give it a week or so, to see better development.

At first i thought this was a singularity of 1 leaf, but looking at the other new leaf, it shows the same characteristic. Let's see if the mutation will appear in the next leaves. And if both pitchers from each leaf develop.

I'll keep you updated.</span>

My N. hamata did that, unfortunately the pitchers were not well developed, but it did show it!

Wow..ok I wait for some nice pictures! It sounds fine!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Still really low quality pictures, but i wanted to share this.

My plant is still producing twin leaves. The pitchers of the first twin leaf have developed. 1 has open lid, the other is about to open.
NEPENTHESVENTRICOSADUALPITCHER6.jpg

Then the next leaf, has split but in the base of the leaf ( I forgot what is the name of that part) the twin leaves have the same base.
NEPENTHESVENTRICOSADUALPITCHER4.jpg

And then there is the 3 leaf, which is still developing, so we can call it the growing point has another twin leaf.
NEPENTHESVENTRICOSADUALPITCHER5.jpg

I know that these pictures are not good. But i pormiss that my next tech-purchase will be a good camera, that can have zoom and all that. I have a Digital camera, but i do not know how to make good pics with it. I ned a camera to take closs-ups. Anyways i do not want to let pass by the opportunity of sharing experiences with you all.</span>

I love Cernobyl ;)

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

I bet cuttings of that thing would be in high demand.
smile.gif

<span style='color:teal'>Oh yes, i am sure of that... But it will take a loooong time to see if this plant will sustain this mutation, and after that to be able to take some cuttings and see if those cuttings will still keep on showing this also.... Well... Time will tell....
smile_m_32.gif
</span>

Here is another update of this strange Nepenthes.

The plant has not only continued producing twin leaves with 2 active pitchers, but now the leaves are twisted. I love this mutant!

NEPENTHESVENTRICOSADUAL2305061.jpg

NEPENTHESVENTRICOSADUAL2305062.jpg

What do you guys think about this mutant?</span>

Wow! I love this also too!
Mr_Aga!

That is really cool. Lets hope it keeps doing that.

<span style='color:teal'>I really hope so
smile_m_32.gif
</span>

Back