What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. sibuyanensis x truncata

wondering if anybody has an experience in having a 'N. sibuyanensis x truncata' as a window sill plant. i have a N. ventricosa in a windowsilll growing and pitchering like crazy.

sibuyanensis is much more reluctant to pitcher, especially in low humidity environments, but then all of a sudden it will start throwing out pitchers. So give it a try and let us know how it does for you.

well i have the sibu x truncata squat and im growing this one as windowsill. seems to do better on windowsill than outdoors in the cold. it likes warm nights. i noticed too that the leaves are getting waxier and i hope the truncata kicks in to help it to pithcer...
smile.gif

I just got one of these and I don't know if it would do ok on a windowsill because as srduggins has said, my pure sibuyanensis is very touchy about pitchering, but the truncata might counter this...very interested to know how yours does. Here's mine:
p_sibuyanensis_x_truncata_2.jpg

thanks for the info.

im trying to get another nep to sit on wy windowsill. i tried growing difficult neps in large terrarium but failed. srduggins(steve) saved my plants. (N. talangenisis, N. argentii, N. ramispina).

now im inching back to nep. i have a ventricosa on my windowsill thats doin quite well, flowered, 4 basal shoots and pitchering like crazy (and it happened during fall/winter). im looking for an easy nep will also trive in this same

condition. truncata hybrid? maxima hybrid? i kinda prefer someting with big colorful pitchers .

any suggestions?

bdw, im not new to neps. i grow lowlanders for years in the tropics when i was still living in the philippines.

eric

My conditions are a lot different from yours, so what works for me, might not for you. Ramispina is an easy grower for me. It may work better for you on the windowsill than in a tank, if it would get more night time cooling that way. Maxima is a very nice plant, big and easy, and there are lowland varieties if that is what you need. Sounds like you might be looking for a maxima-dark x truncata hybrid. I would also highly recommend thorelii x aristolochioides. This one has proven bomb-proof in many different growing regions and some suggest it may outperform ventrata! Here are some pics to drool over:

maxima(m)
EP2070.jpg

maxima-dark x truncata
EP2061.jpg

thorelii x aristo
P1000329.jpg

Wow Steve it's amazing the plants you grow outdoors! I'd be very interested to see your seasonal temp ranges for an entire year, if you have the time. I am deciding which ones to try outdoors this year.

Winter is generally low 40s to low 70s with some extremes into the upper 30s and 80s. Also sometimes the high doesn't get above mid 60s. My plants generally don't like that, especially when they are wet with rain, and grow and pitcher poorly.

Dog Days of Summer are generally Sept. through part of November with lows into the upper 50s and highs into the upper 80s or 90s, but many days are only upper 70s or low 80s. It can also be very dry.

The rest of the year is pretty ideal with lows into the mid 50s and highs into the upper 70s.

You're welcome to come by and check out my set-up if you like. I do still grow most smaller plants in tanks outdoors.
398tank_two2.JPG

398tank_2.jpg

Lows in the upper 50s in the heat of summer???  You are lucky; we sometimes never drop below 70 for weeks at a time.

Great setup you have there.

Hey srduggins,

What city in Southern Cali. do you live in? I also live in Sou Cali but am in the hot dry Temeculan air. 30 miles inland. Trust me if I was just 8 miles closer Neps will flourish outdoors for me. Tomorrow I'm receiving my N. spath X veitchii HL striped. I'm gonna window sill this baby.

Phong

I grow sibuyanensis as a window sill plant and it pitchers just fine. I find window sill growing very successful with nepenthes.

You're plant is also a hybird whitch makes it more hardy of a grower , truncata is also a wonderful potted window sill plant.

I'm in Orange County. I may have been pushing the temps a little. This chart indicates we are in the low 60s at night in the summer. Also August is the hottest month, but the dry Santa Ana winds in Sept-Nov are what really scare me.
Weather Chart

nice trick steve, with the chart. i could use this...

Back