What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal shoot on highland truncata

I have a highland truncata in a hanging basket, growing well but still quite small, which has put out a basal shoot. Now I've got a very large, much older lowland truncata that is also in a hanging basket, and is tilting greatly there's that much over the edge. But no basals. I visited the local Botanical Gardens, and they have a very old, massive lowland truncata which also is yet to produce a basal.

I wonder whether this is a one-off, or whether highland truncata more readily produces basals. Anyone got one on theirs?

doesnt it have to be like a palm in order to do this?

That's what I thought. Lowland truncata takes forever to make basals, regardless of the usual tricks you throw at it. I've seen lowland truncata several feet long before throwing out a basal. But this highland truncata is only a few years old, barely an adolescent.

Hey SydneyNeps,

I have two highland truncs - one is about 5 or 6" in diameter, so too young to tell. The other is about a foot across, and no basals yet.

I did notice that my larger one, which I got a few months ago, is getting crispy brown edges on it's leaves. Any idea why parts of the leaves might just die off? Could this be a symptom of being put in an environment with much higher light (the previous grower didn't have all that much light on it)?

Hello to all!
My little truncata lowland from Christian Klein was sold me already with a basal shoot.At the beginning I was convinced that it was a plant apart...but as I did investigate further I realized the true : it was reallt a basal shoot.
I did separate them and I gave the plant as a little present to a friend of mine.
I think that one of the various reasons that convincea Nepenthes to develope basal shoots is the sufference of the top of the plant. Example...: having a nepenthes for too many times too near a neon lettings some leafes burn a little will incentivate that the plant will produce basal shoots.The concept is similar as I would make some cutting to the upper part of my plant...: in the lower part I would habe new plants....understood?

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

truncata_cutting1.jpg

truncata_cutting2.jpg

truncata_cutting3.jpg

Nepenthes cultured in tissue culture will often readily produce basals as a result of catalysts given to them. However, this plant is maybe 4 or 5 years old, so well past any memory of TC hormones. It is subject the it's stem being lateral, a trigger which often causes basal shoots in other species. However, lowland truncata seems immune to this treatment. It might be that highland truncata behaves differently.

Back