What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PFT N. faizaliana

I recently ordered an N. faizaliana from PFT, and it just made a pitcher. The lid is longer than most neps, and it has a little "tooth" at the end of the lid, where it sorta bends down. I looked at pics of N. fusca "Sarawak" and it looks just like my plant. I'm not trying to make PFT look bad or anything, it's just that I have read a lot of things on the web that tell how lots of nurseries have confused N. faizaliana with N. fusca. Here's my plant's first pitcher:

faizaliana1.jpg

faizaliana2.jpg

Notice the short wings and the long lid.
Many thanks,
-Ben

looks very nice! well they sent a healthy plant!
smile.gif

Drosera,

The same thing happened to me from another online vendor. I think a whole bunch of fusca sarawaks went out from the main distributor (whoever that is) mis-labelled as faizaliana.

At any rate, fusca sarawak is a REALLY rewarding plant, so I think you & I both got the better end of the mix up!

Yeah, I'm really starting to like my N. fusca now. I think its peristome is beginning to color up, so that should look nice. When I got the plant, there was also a little basal shoot on the bottom of the stem, and I just fed it some ants a few days ago, and now it's really taking off. (You can just barely see one of its pitchers in the first pic.)

-Ben

The leaves don't look like fusca leaves to me, but then again, neither did the other fusca "Sarawak" clone I saw. Any chance faizaliana was distributed as fusca "Sarawak"? My fuscas also have a long, thin triangular lid. Hard to tell from your picture, but you did say it was long. I don't have pics of the leaves, but here is a pic of my fusca "Flared Peristome".
P1000171.jpg

I have been growing this plant for 4-5 years now. I got my plants from ABG who had a number of seedlings from a cross between two clones that they were given labeled as N. faizaliana. Not sure who the original source was but I want to say BE or MT.

I don;t grow any fuca clones but to my eye this plant does not match up with the pics of Sarawak. At the same time it does not match up to any of the other type of faizaliana I see out there.

Some people have argued that this is a hybrid but I seriously doubt that given that all of the ABG seedlings are identical which you would not have in a hybrid F2 generation. Unless of coure you got a stable hybrid but the odds of that are pretty low all around.

Next time I am there I'll see if I can get a few shots of the adult plants which might help shed a littl light on the matter.

Well, on a website (I think it was Malasiana Tropicals), I read that N. faizaliana is from the Sarawak mountains or some place called Sarawak. This is prolly also where N. fusca 'Sarawak' is from. So, since they're from the same place, and look a bit alike, I suppose someone who can't tell the difference collected plants from the Sarawak place and assumed that they were N. faizaliana.

Here, I got this from BobZ's photo finder: Ch'ien Lee writes “N. fusca can immediately be distinguished from this species [N. faizaliana] by a triangular lid which can be very narrow particularly in the upper pitchers and frequently has a short apical appendage as well. The lid of N. faizaliana by contrast is nearly orbicular (sometimes wider than long) and is in fact much more similar to N. stenophylla". Further, Tony Paroubek writes:"N. faizaliana floating around that do NOT match the description of the species are very typical for N. fusca from Sarawak which is a very common plant there. Seed was distributed from ABG if I recall and several nurseries grew them up as N. faizaliana and distributed them as such, to retail nurseries, before they got to a larger size. The plants grown by Malesiana from material collected by Ch'ien do not look anything like these other 'N. faizaliana'."

-Ben

Very interesting discussion. Here are the leaves from two of my fuscas.
P1000374.jpg

P1000372.jpg

Well, now the pitcher has pretty much fully developed, the peristome is now higher up, and the peristome has some markings, as well as the throat.

-Ben

My fiazaliana looks like the pic by srduggins- its a large plant that just tossed its first upper pitcher, well I think its an upper- it looks nothing like the lower pitchers.
I will take pics and try and post them in a couple days.
TQ

Back