What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.northiana

Hi,since the last posting a month ago,some members request that i take photos and show the substrates. Here they are, images in their natural  habitat and substrate examination. Feel free to comment here if descriptions are still insufficient.

northiana is only found inland of Sarawak,on limestone hills.Hills are no higher than 500 ft. Night is cool. Temp.range from 24°C (night) to 28°C (day ),humidity is approx.90%,rain is frequent,as in most inland hills and mts. of sarawak.

Northiana can be found on limestone foothills or hanging on steep hill slopes.

DSC_0888alt.jpg

limestones are loose and exposed on some low slopes ( this one is approx. 12ft )

DSC_0872alt.jpg

Heavy mist is a natural everyday occurence on limestone hills.

Taken 7.30am.Heavy mist blocked one of the hills.(partially,right of photo)
DSC_0862.jpg

Some limestones are fragmented-big and small. Rain falls bringing with it clay,sand,decaying leaves and trees branches and deposited on the crevices.

photo shows northiana on loose limestone slope

DSC_0855.jpg

DSC_0858alt.jpg

one limestone was removed (away from the roots system)to reveal the substrates-very loose and porous of clay,sand,decay plant materials,etc..

DSC_0865.jpg

DSC_0877alt.jpg

another young northiana taking roots on limestone crevices
DSC_0881alt.jpg

more on limestone slopes.
DSC_0890.jpg

I may have omitted some vital info but the images speak for themselves
smile_m_32.gif
Hope i met the request.
smile.gif

btw:i have one northiana plant grows on 1/2 podzol soil,1/2 limestone chippings (collected from the abandon limestones quarry).She is doing fine,have small pitchers. As long as the medium is well drain,other factors remain constant,like any neps she will grow
smile.gif

Robert

Robert,
Thanks for posting the terrific photos - very interesting!  It's always a treat to see your images of plants in their natural surroundings.  Great work!
KPG

I second that...very nice post!

Robert,

thanks for sharing both those wonderful habitat photos and information.

The only thing that would top that would be to be able to have been there myself, maybe someday...

Keep on posting, it is always appreciated.

Regards,

Christer

guys,thank you for the response.I will do my best to present in photos. Once i have found neps i tend to forget taking pics of certain element(s) while drowning mysely into photographying neps.The heavy mist around the hills is one factor to take note.During dry season the mist brings dense moist,deposited over the ground over the night, thus providing the moisture to all living plants for their survival.

Soil examination is another which promted me going back to take more photos
smile_m_32.gif

Robert

Hi Robert,
Thanks for the habitat pics! Very enlightening. Keep up the great photos. We always look forward to your Nep photography and the environmental photos.:)

Robert,

I need to ask a few questions. Please answer them to the best you can.

1). Do N. northiana grow in any areas where there is pure compost like one would find N. rafflesiana, ampullaria, bicalcarata, etc.?

2). Would you consider the rain/mist to be acid rain? is there vents from lava tubes or perhaps activity from a volcano nearby?

3). Have you observed any northiana that have fallen from cliffs due to erosion and therefore exposure to the roots and subsequent loss of foothold thereby plant just becoming detached and falling?

4). After looking at the way they grow, I assume water may sometimes steam alongside established plants bringing nutrients from higher ground. What sort of environment would one find higher up?

Many thanks and please answer as you have observed them.

Michael

Hi again thanks for the reply. Thanks Mike for the question.I will answer as what i have observed.

#1. northiana is not found in other neps habitats. It's found only in the limestone hills and abandon gold mines near Bau town. No where else in sarawak. Threfore an endemic species. On lower ground of limestone hills northiana grow happily among all green and/ or red spot ampullaria, and mirabilis ( as far as i have come across ). The only hybrid N x cincta (northiana and albormarginata ) are found on lower ground but are more abandon on hill top. But I have not come across an albormarginata plant in the area, puzzling !!  

northiana grows on compost soil of decaying leaves,sand and clay on top of limestone. The main root grow deep penetrating the joints and crevices. mosses are also common features here.

#2 as rain contain carbonic acid in turn it dissolves the limestones. Features associated with it are caves,potholes,stalagmites,,etc.

There is no acid rain associated with industry here. Bau is a small trading and agricultural town. the only activity is limestone quarry that contain northiana.Most gold mine are abandon due to the low quality and difficulty of extraction.

There is no volcano here or activities associated with it.But Sarawak is within reach of ash falls from volcanoes from the Indonesian and Phillippine , and incidences of such falls have been recorded, Slight shock have also been felt in the past.

#3.  large clumps of northiana sometimes falls from the precipitous cliffs due to erosion ( note #1st photo- the bare surface wall due to erosion ). The first time i search for northiana was the indication of a dead pitcher on the ground
smile_k_ani_32.gif

#4 on higher ground and hill top are wild orchids,moss,ferns,vegetations and trees associated with limestones.

water carries nutrient from higher ground, some drips down from the roof top through pot holes.

begonia and one leaf plant,common plant inside the cave.
cavevegetation.jpg

Hope that answer,mike. Cheers..Robert

Thank you Robert. Much information regarding nutrient uptake was provided with your photos and information of ground site.

I find it interesting as well to find N. Cincta without the presence of albomarginata.

Robert please just one more question I wanted to ask earlier.

What kinds of fauna is found inside pitchers of N. northiana? Any consistency?

I would be very interested in knowing the common food types of all species you come across. from N. bical to rafflesiana as well as hybrids.

Michael

Mike,there is no specific type associated with it. I notice insects caught are common flies,cockroaches,ants,etc..

Robert

Many thanks for looking. Since they grew on limestone, I might have thought they fed on a specific insect or organism.

But the photos speak for themselves on their beauty and way they grow on those steep inclines.
M

Back