What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new baby N. hamata

I received this little guy a few days ago and I actually have a second one on the way as we speak. Keeping in mind that my terrariums get pretty hot (between 80-95 on any given day) I'm pleased to say that my new N. hamata hasn't even lost a pitcher while adjusting to its new environment. Hopefully it'll stay on this same positive path as time goes on! I'm determined to prove that N. hamata can survive in Southern Californian heat

smilie4.gif

N_hamata_side_view.gif

LateNightPhotos052.jpg

Nice hamatas, Mitch.

Mine is also doing better than I thought it would under higher night temps (65F winter, 70F summer). It's probably not growing as fast as it would under better conditions, but the growth/pitchers that it's putting out look great to me.

Good luck with yours!

Great to hear that yours is doing well Chloroplast! What kind of daytime temps do you give your N. hamata?

Nice plant. How large is it in diameter?
dewy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ April 25 2006,12:20)]Keeping in mind that my terrariums get pretty hot (between 80-95 on any given day)
Why? You could open a small hole in the top of the terrarium to let heat escape and add a small computer fan.

As you know I recently built my first highland greenhouse and I have noticed the swamp cooler has been running constantly during the day lately. By simply cutting a 10" vent hole in the roof, I have managed to lower the temps substantially. Putting your face near the vent (from outside), you can literally feel a rush of HOT air escaping. I should have thought of this sooner! It is so simple. The humitity has not been affected either. I would try this with your terrarium and see if you can't lower your temps a little. Remember, moving air passing over wet surfaces causes evaporative cooling, so even if the actual air temperature is not affected much, the surface where the evaporation is taking place is cooled.

read this

Thanks for the advice Ludwig, but my terrariums don't have covers on them, just the lights that rest on top of the tanks. They have pleny of air circulation, but the room that I have all my plants in just gets very hot during the summer months. It's only on the hottest days that the tanks get into the mid-90s, mostly hovering in the low 90s. Luckily when I'm home the AC is usually running so temps are managable that way.

Dewy: The plant is about an inch and a half in diameter.

Nice plant LG, and strange soil? What is it'??

Be careful, it might bite your finger off
smile_n_32.gif

Back