What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are there any neps that are black?

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
I'm looking for cool looking neps. I wanna know if there is a black one that could be treated as a house plant by a east window.

There are 2 that I know of that make black or near black pitures.

N. ramispina
N. albomarginata (Black)

I love that N. ramispina. It also has that it is not expensive either. I'm gonna have to look into getting one of them. Thanks.

There is also a "near black" from of N. gracilis. The photos I have seen look fairly black to me.
I was thinking there was a rare color form of highland N. truncata-though I am not 100% sure.
Cheers,

Joe

Hi all:

I wonder whether ther is a real black nep. Perhaps rather a dark purple would be more appropriate colour.

The closest ones:

N. gracilis var nigropurpurea
N. izumiae
N. albomarginata dark
N. ramispina
N. truncata "highland dark" (very few in cultivation)
N. sanguinea purple
N. bongso "dark form"
N. gracillima

I may still be missing a few

Gus

You mean like these?
P1000108.jpg
big_mxf2.jpg

bongsoage.jpg
bongsoxTM3.jpg

P1000379.jpg
bongsoxtruncata4.jpg

Its hard to capture the black with a camera, it keeps wanting to lighten the picture.

Gus,
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but N. gracilis var nigropurpurea is kind of a brownish-purple. The clones I am talking about are carried by ET(no photo in their current site) and MT(photo present). Now, whether they are really black or dark purple, you have something there. I have seen other's "black" albos and there are a medium purple at best.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Griffin:

Yes, i don't doubt your judgement, but I think we may be seeing the same thing, but we attribute it slightly different names.

Gus

Joe, I grow the albomarginata "purple/black" and it's a light purple, lighter than gracilis var nigropurpurea for example. The only species that would get closest to being black (and remember, no plant is every truly black) are ramispina and izumiae. With ramispina, the clones vary and it can be hard to get ones that have a really solid, dark blackish colour, and many floating round are hybrids with sanguinea.

purple/burgandy pitcher w/ nearly black peristrome is the best i can do with bongso and jac. x izumae

a71b4d7a.jpg

well why dont yah ask him if he has a cutting?
smile_n_32.gif

Any neps that are black? Sure! There are a few black variants in every batch of cuttings. Problem is they don't grow as quick as the green ones.

I don't want any of those kinds of black ones.

Back